Thursday, June 5, 2014

The Girl at Hogwarts, Part 5

Rose walks over, gaping a few moments. Then she muttered, "Offense to the Hufflepuff, I say. Erm... I...." She stops for a moment. "That was a nice thing you did back there." She says, the words reluctantly spoke. I rub my neck awkwardly. "Er... yeah, thanks.... um, Rose, is it?" She nods, and slowly sticks out her hand. I shake it, then she walks away. I look to the side, waiting for Scorpius to say something. He gives a menacing glare at me. I wait for him to start telling me off, but he stands up and makes to the directions of the dungeon. The Slytherins look at me, and I wait for them to jaw. Alyssa Zane stands up then says, "What in the name of inferi is his problem?" Mont leans back and says, "Completely." From the Ravenclaw table. I watch a Gryffindor come and pat me on the back. "Nicely done, goody-two-shoes." He says. The Gryffindor sits down, and the Slytherins say nothing. Soon, many Hufflepuffs, Gryffindors, and Ravenclaws sit down at the Slytherin table. I don't exactly think I'm right, but I might be mending the shattered bond between the houses.
The glory doesn't last long. Professor Devon comes and motions for me to follow. A look of utter fury fills his eyes. "DO YOU THINK THIS IS ACCEPTABLE?!," He shouts. "GRYFFINDORS! SITTING AT THE SLYTHERIN TABLE! ARE YOU MENTAL? I AGREE WITH HIM TO PROTECT YOU, AND THIS IS HOW YOU REPAY ME? BY FULFILLING THE DAMNED PROPHECY?" He yells. "Sorry. But has anyone let the prophecy slip yet?" He asks in a rage-filled, but more controlled voice. I shake my head. "Ok, here." He responds in an enraged whisper. 

"Twelve will join the reunite the three. Out of doubled six (plus one), quadrupled two will come back. Everyone gives glory except the friend. The beginning of the end, the end of time, the start of everything, and the last of love." I stare at professor Devon. "And... what does this have to do with me?," I ask. "I mean, it doesn't mention me." Professor Devon gave me a sly smile. "Ah, but it does." He searches his deep, mysterious (hey, I think they are,) pockets. He fishes out scraps of paper. "What's this rubbish?" I ask confusedly. Professor Devon frowns. "Rubbish? Oh, no, no. Oculus Reparo." He says. He taps his wand on the papers, and they carefully mend. Devon reads it.
"This is the beginning, Snow. One with name of ice shall lead the quest, taking 11 'long. She mends the lion and snake, and is beloved by every person." I frown. "That does not whatsoever match me. Name of ice? Beloved by every person? Yeah... no." Professor lets out a sigh. "Snow and ice are practically the same, are they not? Beloved by every person? I don't see Scorpius Malfoy making friends with Gryffindors." I think. "Yeah, I guess." Then a thought occurs to me. "Who do I take on the quest?" I ask eagerly. He smiles. "Any you wish, but only twelve. I suggest three of each house." I thought about. "Quill and parchment, please." He snaps his fingers. A black and silver quill appears, along with pearl-white parchment. Some turquoise ink sits by my side, definitely not there before. I carefully slosh ink onto the quill and start scribbling down names.

Slytherins                      Ravenclaws
Scorpius Malfoy           Mont Evergreen
Alyssa Zane                    Cho Zhou
Raven King                    Spencer Lucian

Gryffindors                    Hufflepuffs
Rose Weasley                  Candor Allison
Naomi Maxwell              Deidre Parker
Albus Potter                   Lacy Daughenbaugh

There. Now, it was perfect. These were people I would take. I looked at the parchment and noticed that Slytherins, Ravenclaws, Gryffindors, and Hufflepuffs started changing color. 

Slytherins                      Ravenclaws
Scorpius Malfoy           Mont Evergreen
Alyssa Zane                    Cho Zhou
Raven King                    Spencer Lucian

Gryffindors                    Hufflepuffs
Rose Weasley                  Candor Allison
Naomi Maxwell              Deidre Parker
Albus Potter                   Lacy Daughenbaugh

"Um, sir? The words are--" He cut me off. "Changing color? Ver' fine," He said dismissively. "That mean's the ink wasn't a ripoff." 
"Sir?" I asked.
"Yes?"
"I made a list of people that can go on the quest." 
"Oh! Good, Good. Let me see." 
I showed the paper to him. He ran his fingers on the inky words. 
"Very fine... oh, perhaps not.... what is this?" He pointed to every single name on the paper. 
"Sir? What's wrong with it?" I asked looking at the paper too see if maybe I had spelling mistakes. 
"You chose valor, jealousy, and beauty. Raven, Lacy, Albus, and Candor are popular throughout the school for deep valor. Scorpius, Mont, Rose, and Deidre are known for jealousy against others when mentally and physically defeated. Alyssa, Cho (Oh, Cho Zhou, mind you, Snow, not Cho Chang), Naomi, and Spencer are known for being beautiful and handsome." 
I forced a smile. "Sorry sir! I didn't really mean too, I just--"
"It is fine, Snow." He bent down to a wand-like thing on the table. "SCORPIUS MALFOY, ALYSSA ZANE, AND RAVEN KING OF SLYTHERIN, MONT EVERGREEN, CHO ZHOU, AND LACY DAUGHENBAUGH OF RAVENCLAW, ROSE WEASLEY, NAOMI MAXWELL, AND ALBUS POTTER OF GRYFFINDOR, AND CANDOR ALLISON, DEIDRE PARKER, AND SPENCER DEFORKE OF HUFFLEPUFF PLEASE COME TO HEADMASTER'S OFFICE." In less time than you could say 'Supercalifrajilisticexpialidoshis', they were all in the office. Raven, Lacy, Albus, and Candor were staring straight at the headmaster with full attention and interest, making him quite weary. Scorpius, Mont, Rose, and Deidre stared at one another in house-created hatred. But the people that caught my attention were Alyssa, Cho, Naomi, and Spencer. Alyssa's long copper hair was tied into a bun, and her shimmering green eyes matched her pale skin and long black eyelashes. Cho had very, very, very, very EXTREMELY LONG black hair. She wore it with a blue headband. Cho had Asian skin, (Being Chinese,) and dark, dark, very dark, ever-so-dark blue eyes. Naomi had chocolate-brown hair and bright blue eyes. [Author's Note: Jojo, am I getting this right, or no?] Her perfectly tanned skin matched correctly with her bright white smile, and the intrigued, ready-to-learn look in her eyes. Spencer had golden hair and purple eyes. He had slightly-paler-than-tan skin and a wicked grin. All of them stood talking. Professor clapped. They all looked straight at him. "So, shall we speak of quests? Does anyone know how many quests there have been in this school?" Mont, Cho, and Lacy's hand flew into the air while the rest sat thinking. Devon looked at the three of them. "Cho?" Mont glared at Cho and crossed his arms while Lacy smiled, seeming to not want to be picked. Cho flipped back her sheet of raven-black hair. "Zero, sir." Professor smiled. "Counting from today, Cho." Cho looked confused. "Would it not still be zero? Oh, Oh." She said, realizing the obvious. "One, sir." She said quietly. Mont, now furious with all attention towards Cho, ran his fingers through his brown hair and said, "HEY! PAY ATTENTION! Are weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee going on the quest?" He asked, lengthening 'we' just to make the sentence longer. Devon chortled innocently. "Heh.... Yes. All in this room, (With the exception of me,) are going." Scorpius and Rose both jumped back and yelled in unison, pointing at each other, "NOT WITH THIS PRAT!" Scorpius had a enraged, contagious look in his eye. Professor Devon raised his eyebrow. "Prat? I am aware that out of the 5000 students with amazing, magical abilities, Snow chose you particularly in a matter of seconds. That is a 2% chance." Lacy's hand seemed to apparate into the air, it was so fast. "Sir? I have to correct you. It is not a 2% chance, it is a 416.666666667% chance, which in 5000 is still amazingly, incredibly small." She said matter-of-factly. Professor Devon sighed. He tapped his wand to his head and it pulled out a glowing, silvery string. He raised his hand to what seemed like a marble bowl and it floated to him. He slowly waved his wand, making the strand fall off. The water inside the marble bowl shimmered pearl white and glowed with a golden aura. "Well?" Professor Devon said impatiently. I guessed what it was first. "Um, sir? We can't all dunk in our heads at once. Which house goes first?
"Well, Slytherin, Snow." 
Alyssa and Scorpius tightly grabbed my hand and.... 
"1...." Alyssa started.
Next Scorpius said, "2..."
I took I deep breath. "3."

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Art and Aspirations of a Commenter 
I believe in the power of a free exchange of ideas. I also recognize that words or access to
some information can be of harm to others, intentionally or unintentionally. As a
commenter, I therefore aspire to participate responsibly in the great online conversation
 by:
* treating all bloggers with respect.
* seeking first to understand what is being said.
* celebrating another's accomplishments.
* using school appropriate language.
* rephrasing ideas in the blog that made me think, made me feel, or helped me learn
to let the blogger know his/her voice has been heard.
* commenting specifically and positively, without criticism. If I disagree, I will
comment appropriately, politely stating my perspective.
* being mindful always that I may be a role model to my audience, especially if they 
are younger than I.
* making no reference to, link to, and/or giving access to any information that may 
 be inappropriate for a school setting.
* asking at least one question in my comment with the hopes of continuing a
conversation and deepening thinking.
* using a triple check before submitting any comment: Would I be happy to have my 
mother read this comment? My grandmother? My favorite teacher?