Wednesday, September 25, 2013
The Kangaroo Club; Chapter 1
It was the first day of another school year at Kangaroo Intermediate. Himilaya walked up the front stairs of the building, and pushed the big doors open. The buzz of the chatter of students filled the air. The smell of pumpkin muffins could be detected from any room or area in the building. Himilaya saw an empty club sign-up booth at the end of the autitorium. She walked up to the person gaurding it. "I am Himilaya, president of the Kangaroo School Club for this school. This booth has been reserved for the sign-ups," Himilaya said to the man. The man pulled a rope next to him and moved out of the way. Then the white sheet covering the booth lifted up. "Surprise!" Himilaya's friends cried. "Unis! Rane! Kaylin! Davielle! This is AMAZING! We'll start sign-ups now!" Himilaya said happily, taking her place behind the booth. Unis, Rane, Kaylin and Davielle had been Himilaya's besties since she moved to Austrailia years before, in fourth grade. Now they were altogether and were holding sign-ups for the most popular school club in the school; the Kangaroo School Club, or the KSC. "We did it so you wouldn't have to do all of it at the last minute," Unis said caringly. Davielle nodded. Unis and Davielle loved to agree. They felt like identical twins, since they agreed on everything and dressed the same a lot of the time. "I can't wait to see how many people sign-up!" Rane squealed excitedly. As it turned out, almost a two-dozen people signed up. "Wow! Almost twenty four people!" Unis cried. Davielle nodded in agreement. "Ok, first meeting of the Kangaroo School Club will he held next week. If you don't come you're out of the club," Kaylin told the people who had signed up. "We'll see you there!" Himilaya called. The next week was going to be a BLAST. She planned to bring friut punch, cookies, a dozen boxes of pepperoni pizza, lots of decorations...
"Next week will be awesome!" Himilaya cried. She hoped she was right.
2 comments:
The Art and Aspirations of a Commenter
I believe in the power of a free exchange of ideas. I also recognize that words or access to
some information can be of harm to others, intentionally or unintentionally. As a
commenter, I therefore aspire to participate responsibly in the great online conversation
by:
* treating all bloggers with respect.
* seeking first to understand what is being said.
* celebrating another's accomplishments.
* using school appropriate language.
* rephrasing ideas in the blog that made me think, made me feel, or helped me learn
to let the blogger know his/her voice has been heard.
* commenting specifically and positively, without criticism. If I disagree, I will
comment appropriately, politely stating my perspective.
* being mindful always that I may be a role model to my audience, especially if they
are younger than I.
* making no reference to, link to, and/or giving access to any information that may
be inappropriate for a school setting.
* asking at least one question in my comment with the hopes of continuing a
conversation and deepening thinking.
* using a triple check before submitting any comment: Would I be happy to have my
mother read this comment? My grandmother? My favorite teacher?
Aaaarrrggghhhh!!!!!!!!! So many good stories, great books, oh, how will I ever be able to wait for everybody to finish their SECOND chapters?
ReplyDeleteI love it! Its kind of like the Hunger Games! Cant wait for the second chapter!
ReplyDeleteDaisy