Dolly Partron was a 15 year old girl who lived as a slave owner. She had a large, white house on a busy street, given to her by her father. The bad thing was, her father was the man who made the law of slavery. Dolly felt so right but so wrong about slavery, but if her dad found out that she even had the slightest erge to set a slave free, he would make her life miserable. Dolly always wandered off and found a new place at dawn every morning. One morning, she had wandered off farther than she ever had before. The white, rustic bridge reflected in midnight blue water made for a magnificent sight. Beautiful flowers were on dark green bushes, and the fallen ones were floating in the water ever so elegantly, surrounded by moss. Trees covered the sky like fireworks on the 4th of July. Wheat plants were everywhere, enough to where you couldn't see the rich soil beneath them. This place was amazing. This place was her escape. This place was her second home.
Ever since she found this special place, she has been there every morning. One strange day, she heard a rustling in one of the flower bushes. She krept forward to see what it was, to find her slave. She looked at her somewhat expectantly. She knew that this was her chance. She could let a slave free without anyone knowing, and so she did. She felt so great for doing this great deed that she snuck around the city, setting slaves free. Nobody ever knew she was doing it. Once she found her way home, she saw her father waiting outside for her.
" Dolly, I know you were the one who did this. I never felt more proud of you," her dad said regretfully. Dolly couldn't speak. She was too shocked. Once she was able to speak, she convinced her dad to change the law of slavery. Dolly Partron changed history.
No comments:
Post a Comment
The Art and Aspirations of a Commenter
I believe in the power of a free exchange of ideas. I also recognize that words or access to
some information can be of harm to others, intentionally or unintentionally. As a
commenter, I therefore aspire to participate responsibly in the great online conversation
by:
* treating all bloggers with respect.
* seeking first to understand what is being said.
* celebrating another's accomplishments.
* using school appropriate language.
* rephrasing ideas in the blog that made me think, made me feel, or helped me learn
to let the blogger know his/her voice has been heard.
* commenting specifically and positively, without criticism. If I disagree, I will
comment appropriately, politely stating my perspective.
* being mindful always that I may be a role model to my audience, especially if they
are younger than I.
* making no reference to, link to, and/or giving access to any information that may
be inappropriate for a school setting.
* asking at least one question in my comment with the hopes of continuing a
conversation and deepening thinking.
* using a triple check before submitting any comment: Would I be happy to have my
mother read this comment? My grandmother? My favorite teacher?