Saturday, February 15, 2014

In the Eyes of Draco Malfoy: Seeing the world in Draco's Eyes: The Last Year at Hogwarts

Draco felt odd. Ever since his family joined the Dark Lord, things had never been the same. Just one year ago his life was just teasing Harry Potter and avoiding trouble. Now, it was pleasing the Dark Lord and not getting killed. He was sitting in the stone corridors staring out one of the windows into the grey fog. Maybe life would be better if he had Blaise, Pansy, and Goyle.  He never understood why he hated Potter. Maybe he hated him because of his entrance in their second year, when he was sitting at the Slytherin table, talking with Crabbe, Goyle and Pansy. They had crashed into the womping willow. What an entrance! was all they ever would say for the rest of the year. Draco liked when Umbridge came. Sure, he hated Umbridge herself, but she was so easy to deceive! As a bonus, she gave Potter detentions daily. Draco also remembered Remedial Potions... how could one be bad at that? They must have been using it as cover. But now, Draco had no feelings. At least, until aunt Bellatrix had taught him Occulemency.  "Draco! Draco!" His mother was calling again. "Yes, mum?" "We should be preparing... the Dark Lord awaits. He had us on the brink of Harry's demolition." Her face was not upturned as usual. She looked sad... worried even. "Draco, darling. Come. We need to get ready. Lucius got out of Azkaban."  His mother was pleading now. "Draco! Darling, come we mustn't be waiting! Lucius will give you anything... the Dark Lord too..." Draco's face was boiling red. He was glaring at his mother ferociously. "How about this? How about... did I ever say to dad I wanted him to be a death eater? Did I ever say for him to go to Azkaban? Did I EVER say I wanted to join Voldemort?" Draco clasped his hands over his mouth. "I'm sorry... went out of control..." His snake-in-skull tattoo burnt like fire. His mother clasped her hand over her arm. "Draco. Please, The Dark Lord will kill us if we wait." "Fine. But i'm not involved in any of this." He followed his mother to the main hall. Bellatrix was waiting there. Fenrir Greyback was too. Draco gasped and jumped four feet back. He could hear a very familiar voice shouting in the dungeon... It couldn't be... Fenrir slowly arched his was towards the dungeon. He had sparkling silver keys in his hand and a piece of old faded parchment in the other. He slowly traced down the steps. Draco could hear Fenrir talking... then another familiar voice... then Fenrir... then a different, but familiar voice. Then Fenrir, then a confident, Feminine voice. All three of the voices sounded too familiar. He heard the click of locks and a loud, metal Clang! Fenrir came back up the stone steps with the sparkling keys and piece of parchment. "One of 'em just told me he was 'n 'lytherin. Named Vernon Dudley. Wen' t' 'Ogwarts. Mud-blood." He heard Fenrir's snappy, accented voice. Draco perked up. "There's no Mud-blood Vernon Dudley at Hogwarts." "What, boy? What makes ye' think ye' can say 'at?" "I went to Hogwarts, fool!" Fenrir growled. " 'Obody call Fenrir Grey'ack a bloody fool. 'Obody!" His growling voice echoed through the dark chambers. Draco's mom jumped in. "Fenrir, Draco has recently learned Occulemency. He may let his emotions rage out of control without knowing it." "Mum, I told you- " He saw his mother's scornful gaze sweep over him and he fell silent. Fenrir gave a short mutter of sarcastic appreciation. He darted back down the stairs and came back up five minutes later with extremely familiar faces. Draco darted behind the corridor's wall without being seen. He pressed his ear against the wall and heard voices."Hey! Look at this, Greyback!" Draco poked out his head a little. A man in death-eater clothing ran out of the room. He was holding something... it was glittering, with rubies on it sparkling like stars. It was made of glimmering silver, and small words were traced on the handle. Draco recognized it at once. The sword. They had hold of it. The sword of Godric Gryffindor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Art and Aspirations of a Commenter 
I believe in the power of a free exchange of ideas. I also recognize that words or access to
some information can be of harm to others, intentionally or unintentionally. As a
commenter, I therefore aspire to participate responsibly in the great online conversation
 by:
* treating all bloggers with respect.
* seeking first to understand what is being said.
* celebrating another's accomplishments.
* using school appropriate language.
* rephrasing ideas in the blog that made me think, made me feel, or helped me learn
to let the blogger know his/her voice has been heard.
* commenting specifically and positively, without criticism. If I disagree, I will
comment appropriately, politely stating my perspective.
* being mindful always that I may be a role model to my audience, especially if they 
are younger than I.
* making no reference to, link to, and/or giving access to any information that may 
 be inappropriate for a school setting.
* asking at least one question in my comment with the hopes of continuing a
conversation and deepening thinking.
* using a triple check before submitting any comment: Would I be happy to have my 
mother read this comment? My grandmother? My favorite teacher?