Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Once Upon A Time

Chapter two

Cyn 

Cyn jumped off her bed as usual as soon as the first rays of morning light peeked through the shades of her windows. She yawned and stared at the list what to do when you wake up her mom, Cinderella, had posted up on the wall. Step one: Never yawn.
Cyn covered her mouth.
Step two: put on your new pair of glass slippers.
Cyn groaned. She hated those slippers, spikes were more comfortable. Cyn still opened her shoe cupboard and took out her twenty-fifth pair of glass slippers her mom had presented her. 
Step three: Put on appropriate clothing.
Cyn took out a green dress from her closet and changed into it hesitantly.
Step four: Comb your hair.
Cyn picked up a comb and combed her tangled strands. 
Step five: Crown.
It just has to be a crown, Cyn thought as she put on her diamond crown lopsidedly. Cyn then went outside, Sugar, her pet puppy, on her shoulders. Then she read step six:
No pets.
Cyn shook her head and patted Sugar on the back. "I'm sorry, Sugar, you'll have to stay. I'll bring you some cake from dinner," Cyn promised and set her puppy down on her bedroom floor before  leaving her bedroom into the rustling hallways. The royal Chefs went here and there, greeting her with the usual "Good morning, your highness," that Cyn was getting tired of by the second.
Finally, she saw her mom. The blonde Queen of the 'good side' of the kingdom of Grimm, where all the fairy tale characters lived. Her mother always was a perfect queen. Her hair was always in a perfect french braid, her crown was never lopsided, her smile was perfect, her shoes were always polished...
If only Cyn were any of those things.
Cyn smiled at her mom and bowed her head. "Good morning, mum," Cyn said.
Her mum smiled as usual and said 'Good Morning' back before leading her to the royal Breakfast room for Breakfast.
"Cyn, you seem to be learning your manners as a proper princess," Cyn's mother complimented. Cyn nodded.
"But your crown is lopsided, dear, you shoes are only eighty-eight percent polished, your dress is getting much too short-"
"Mum," I interrupted.
"Cyn, you know better than to interrupt, it is very rude. You are a Princess, I expect you act like one." 
Cyn gritted her teeth. Here we go again, she thought. Her mum's attempts to make her a perfect princess never ended. 
"Mum," Cyn finally said, "My coronation is a week away. After my coronation, I'll be allowed to finally see the 'bad side', right?" Cyn asked.
Mum paused and took off her crown, looking at her reflection in its deep-turquoise gems. "Cyn, dear," Mum said, "why do you wish to go to that side of the Kingdom. You know it, Cyn, all those people that did evils in the fairy tales the Grimm Brothers wrote live their lives there. The Evil Queen rules that part of the Kingdom, Cyn, it is unsafe,"
"But I've never been there," Cyn protested, "surely you shouldn't judge things by what people say about them! Please mum I-"
"Enough of this conversation, Cyn," Her mum demanded.
"I just wanted to see more of the world," Cyn added quietly.
"There are evils, Cyn, evils. My stepsisters supported the Queen, and they are now widows that live in the deep forests of the 'bad side.'"
Cyn didn't say a thing until they reached the breakfast table.
"I'm sorry mum," Cyn said quietly. Her mum did not answer, just looked straight ahead and ordered the chefs to bring the breakfast.
"Before you were born, Cyn," Her mother said, her eyes filling with tears, "before you were born, there was a war between the 'good side' and the 'bad side.' It was merciless Cyn, those who gave their lives to protect us from the 'evil side,' from the Evil Queen. Your father lost his life in that war, Cyn. And you know the Evil Queen's power. She can suck out ones' soul by looking at them. Evils never end, and the war never ended for me."
"Yes mum."
Cyn sat and ate her pancakes in the most princessy way she could. Her mum was better. Cyn knew she was destined to follow her mother's destiny, but deep inside her heart a princess wasn't her passion. She wanted to see the 'bad side,' she just wanted to. She wanted to prove the side wasn't so bad. 
Deep inside her, she was planning an escape from this castle she lived in. She just wanted to go to the other side. 
My life is horrible, she thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Art and Aspirations of a Commenter 
I believe in the power of a free exchange of ideas. I also recognize that words or access to
some information can be of harm to others, intentionally or unintentionally. As a
commenter, I therefore aspire to participate responsibly in the great online conversation
 by:
* treating all bloggers with respect.
* seeking first to understand what is being said.
* celebrating another's accomplishments.
* using school appropriate language.
* rephrasing ideas in the blog that made me think, made me feel, or helped me learn
to let the blogger know his/her voice has been heard.
* commenting specifically and positively, without criticism. If I disagree, I will
comment appropriately, politely stating my perspective.
* being mindful always that I may be a role model to my audience, especially if they 
are younger than I.
* making no reference to, link to, and/or giving access to any information that may 
 be inappropriate for a school setting.
* asking at least one question in my comment with the hopes of continuing a
conversation and deepening thinking.
* using a triple check before submitting any comment: Would I be happy to have my 
mother read this comment? My grandmother? My favorite teacher?