Sunday, April 6, 2014

After Whatever After: Ah!!


Ah!! I feel like I am drowning in water. Ah!!! I look over at Jonah. He looks like he's having the time of his life. We had just dropped by the beach with Carolyn and Lana and drank the potion. It tasted disgusting. Lana gave us instructions. Swim for 2 hours and then you will find Lana's home. To me, swimming for 2 hours full of scary sharks and who knows what, it's tiring and scary. VERY. I look down to my watch. 3:29. Good. We still have some time. But not much. Ah! I turn around. I saw a movement somewhere, I think. "Jonah, stop." I order him. "But Abby, you know how long it took us LAST time we did this!"

"Jonah, I think I saw a big creature." I shudder.

"Aw... Who's the scardy cat now?" Jonah teases.

"No, Jonah. I'm serious. I am in charge of you for your own safety. I must keep you safe." Jonah rolls his eyes. "You sound to much like a judge." He says to me. "Thank you very much." I say. Taking it as a compliment. Jonah rolls his eyes again, this time more annoyed. "Come on, Abby! We can't lose all our time freaking out because you saw a movement!" Sigh. I can't beat him on THAT one. I keep swimming. Like Dory, or however you spell it, in Nemo! Just keep swimming, just keep swimming, just keep swimming swimming swimming. Thoughts swirl through me as I keep swimming. Nana. Oh, I miss her a lot. She told us fairy tales tthat I paid attention to 110% of the time. Jonah, 20%. And that's sometimes. She also gave me a jewelry box. It shows Snow in my lime green pajamas, Cinderella in a poofy baker's hat, Lana writing stories, and Bri riding a bicycle. That also reminds me of Prince, our dog. We got him when we went to Rose and Felix, Bri's annoying piggy-back riding addictive little brother. Prince didn't like him, and as we were leaving, he went with us. Jonah grabs my arm, shattering my thoughts. "What?" I exclaim. "We're here!" Jonah says. Nelly's place.

1 comment:

The Art and Aspirations of a Commenter 
I believe in the power of a free exchange of ideas. I also recognize that words or access to
some information can be of harm to others, intentionally or unintentionally. As a
commenter, I therefore aspire to participate responsibly in the great online conversation
 by:
* treating all bloggers with respect.
* seeking first to understand what is being said.
* celebrating another's accomplishments.
* using school appropriate language.
* rephrasing ideas in the blog that made me think, made me feel, or helped me learn
to let the blogger know his/her voice has been heard.
* commenting specifically and positively, without criticism. If I disagree, I will
comment appropriately, politely stating my perspective.
* being mindful always that I may be a role model to my audience, especially if they 
are younger than I.
* making no reference to, link to, and/or giving access to any information that may 
 be inappropriate for a school setting.
* asking at least one question in my comment with the hopes of continuing a
conversation and deepening thinking.
* using a triple check before submitting any comment: Would I be happy to have my 
mother read this comment? My grandmother? My favorite teacher?