Saturday, April 12, 2014
After Whatever After: Did Nelly trick us?
I continue looking at the... THING in an awestruck face. Jonah does the same. Finally, we snap out of the trance of awestruckness. (Is that even a word?) "What is it?" Jonah wonders out loud. I shrug. Jonah suddenly starts running. Knowing him, he wants to know what's in the tower. "Wait! Jonah! Where are you going?!" I yell at him. Jonah turns around. "To meet Jack!" I sigh. Sigh. Jonah really likes Jack and the Beanstalk, does he? It's too obvious. I start running after him. I huff and puff. I am not in the mood for running today, especially after I got bitten by a squirrel, we were lost in a forest for, I look down at my watch, a good long two hours and now, I have to catch up with Jonah, who is SO excited to meet Jack. Doesn't that feel like a tiring day? Despite the fact(s) that I am
1.Sweating
2. Running after Jonah after getting lost in the forest for two hours
3. Getting bitten by a squirrel
4. Not knowing what's going to happen next
So, as you can see, I am totally not in the mood for running. I run anyway. Gasp! Wheeze! Cough! Ack! I choke. Yuck. You don"t want to know the results. Anyway, before you vomit, I run up to catch Jonah. Jonah is at the foot of the tower, wondering what to do next. I wonder what to do. Suddenly, I hear a voice. It is deep and smooth, and it says "Rapunzel, Rapunzel, let down your hair!" A ton of hair tumbles down, knocking Jonah and me down. The voice however, starts to climb the hair. It's golden like the sun, and it is as strong as steel. I grab Jonah's hand. "Jonah! We're in Rapunzel!" Jonah pouts. "I thought, wait, I was SO sure that we were in Jack and the Beanstalk! Thanks a lot Abby!" Jonah whines. He frowns. I sigh out loud. Maybe when we get to Rose, I'll just sell Jonah for free to Bri's parents. They aren't your typical type of King and Queen. Anyway, the voice finishes climbing the lock of hair. The hair suddenly is pulled up and I hear voices. I strain to hear what the voices are saying. I motion for Jonah to follow me. Confused, he follows. I can just barely make out the words. Some are muffled, some I can hear clear as daylight. Suddenly, an idea hits me. I wait until the voice, well, the prince goes back home. Then we show ourselves and try to make the story turn out better than how it's supposed to be. I smile to my plan. Finally, when Jonah is about to explode, the prince climbs down. "Jonah!" I hiss. "Hide!" Jonah runs to the forest. The prince looks around and goes off on his horse. "Come on! Here's our chance!" I barely whisper to Jonah. I have used Jonah's name WAY too much. Anyway, I call, "Rapunzel, Rapunzel, let down your hair!" The hair starts tumbling down. Ahh!!! The hair narrowly misses me. I start climbing up the tower. This is hard work. Jonah is trailing behind me. He looks like he is having the time of his life. Me, on the other hand, is huffing and puffing like I had just ran around my school for the umpteenth time. Tiring right? Especially if you have gone through what I have gone through. Finally, we reach the top.
Labels:
Lisa
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
The Art and Aspirations of a Commenter
I believe in the power of a free exchange of ideas. I also recognize that words or access to
some information can be of harm to others, intentionally or unintentionally. As a
commenter, I therefore aspire to participate responsibly in the great online conversation
by:
* treating all bloggers with respect.
* seeking first to understand what is being said.
* celebrating another's accomplishments.
* using school appropriate language.
* rephrasing ideas in the blog that made me think, made me feel, or helped me learn
to let the blogger know his/her voice has been heard.
* commenting specifically and positively, without criticism. If I disagree, I will
comment appropriately, politely stating my perspective.
* being mindful always that I may be a role model to my audience, especially if they
are younger than I.
* making no reference to, link to, and/or giving access to any information that may
be inappropriate for a school setting.
* asking at least one question in my comment with the hopes of continuing a
conversation and deepening thinking.
* using a triple check before submitting any comment: Would I be happy to have my
mother read this comment? My grandmother? My favorite teacher?