Saturday, April 5, 2014
After Whatever After: Mustard
Ah!!! I'm in water. AGAIN. Last time we went to Mustard, we landed in WATER. And if you know me, I HATE WATER. I would cry if anybody wanted me to go inside the water. I am obviously over THAT. Fine. Not really. I gasp for air. Gasp! Cough! Wheeze! Ack! I breathe for air. Ahhhh... So much better. Sopping wet, I call for Jonah. "Jonah! Where are you?" Jonah leaps out of the water. "Come on! Let's go find that potion!" I say. If you remember, we drank a potion that made us breathe underwater for 12 hours. It was a painful experience. I run to a yellow castle. I knock. Lana greets me, hair straight and in a nice french braid. Sigh. I wish my hair could do all those things. I look at my wavy brown hair. Sigh. Why do people's hair do better things than mine? Lana brings us in, and sensing that I was jealous, she took me to the Royal Hair Salon. I chose a pretty French braid, like Lana. Once it's finished, I look for Jonah. I find him in the tetherball court, playing with Russell. I sigh contently. Mortimer's castle is like Paradise. But we need to find Carolyn. She's the only one who can make the potion I was talking
about. "Come on!" I say to Jonah. "Aww... Sorry Russell, catch you later." Jonah waves goodbye. "Abby, why do we have to do this?" Jonah whines. "Because if we don't get home in time, Mom and Dad will wonder where we are. And you don't want to suddenly come out of the mirror and emerge-”
"What does 'emerge' mean?"
"To come out, Jonah."
"Oh. Continue."
"- Okay. Well, you don't want Mom and Dad wondering where we were and why we're coming out from the basement." I breathe for air. I have been talking for a long time. Jonah nods. We go down to the kitchens.
"Hi Carolyn." I say, spotting her. "No, I don't have the- oh. Hi Jonah. Hi Abby." She says, looking behind her shoulder. She's making a lemon meringue pie. "Mmm... Smells good!" I
compliment her. She beams. "So, what brings you down to the kitchens?" Carolyn asks. I start to reply, but Jonah butts in. "Well, we went through the kingdoms of Zamel and Floom, and a fairy named-" "Jonah!" I scold. "-Anyway, we need the potion that you made last time we saw you again." Carolyn smiles. "Gladly." She is like a blur, finding the ingredients. Then she announces, "I need mermaid spit." "Jonah, go find Lana." I say and Jonah goes off. I wait. And wait. And wait. And-zzzz...." "ABBY! WAKE UP!" I jump up. "Ahh! Jonah! Don't do that!" I scream. Jonah complains. "But Lana is here!" I tell her to spit inside the the vial. Lana spits. "It's ready." Carolyn said. I drink the potion and nearly choke. Cough! Cough! Cough! It tastes disgusting. Here we go, to the ocean, to find Nelly, the sea witch.
Labels:
Lisa
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
The Art and Aspirations of a Commenter
I believe in the power of a free exchange of ideas. I also recognize that words or access to
some information can be of harm to others, intentionally or unintentionally. As a
commenter, I therefore aspire to participate responsibly in the great online conversation
by:
* treating all bloggers with respect.
* seeking first to understand what is being said.
* celebrating another's accomplishments.
* using school appropriate language.
* rephrasing ideas in the blog that made me think, made me feel, or helped me learn
to let the blogger know his/her voice has been heard.
* commenting specifically and positively, without criticism. If I disagree, I will
comment appropriately, politely stating my perspective.
* being mindful always that I may be a role model to my audience, especially if they
are younger than I.
* making no reference to, link to, and/or giving access to any information that may
be inappropriate for a school setting.
* asking at least one question in my comment with the hopes of continuing a
conversation and deepening thinking.
* using a triple check before submitting any comment: Would I be happy to have my
mother read this comment? My grandmother? My favorite teacher?