Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Roman Chronicles: Book 1, Apollo: Chapter 1, Roman

My name is Roman. My heritage is NOT Roman. Roman Graeca is actually my full name. (Yes, my name is 'Roman Greek'. Don't make fun.)

It was a normal school day. I had just finished my Exam, (First, like always,) and was reading the Mark of Athena. None of this 'Greek' stuff ever made sense to me. I deeply understood Roman, though. Just kidding! I loved and understood Greek and Roman. "Roman? Did you hear me?" Ms. Noetaell asks me. (Yes, my teacher's name is Know-it-all.) I sighed and said, "No, I didn't. Repeat it." She glares at me, but replies, "It's Science. Get out your science journal!" I look on my desk. My Exam sits in front of me. I was so sure I had turned it in. I opened it. Every single one of my answers were erased. As if reading my mind, Ms. Noetaell says, "It was too messy," and goes back to chewing the tip of her STAAR MASTER sparkly blue pencil. I suddenly feel the urge to snap my fingers. I snap them. The sound is loud, clear, and well, snappy. Noetaell's green-blue eyes turn grey-ish, and she sighs. "We'll just watch a video..." She says, with an incredibly dazed tone. This is my chance. I rush out the door, and go to long island. I liked looking at the island that nobody else could see. I think I hallucinate, because now and then I see dragon zooming through the air. I think I read Percy Jackson too much... I hear voices behind me. "Can she see it?" "Well, she's looking in the direction! We can only hope she's a Half-Blood." "But what if she isn't? She'll alert local authorities and we'll get arrested." A voice laughed. I heard *smack* and then the second voice said, "Hello." It was a boy with unruly, choppy brown hair, bursting sea-green eyes, and an orange T-shirt. The next thing I saw made me gasp with fear and excitement. His shirt said Camp Half-Blood. I expected what he said next. "I'm Percy Jackson. This is Annabeth, my, uh-" I cut in. "Your girlfriend?" He nods. I feel awkward. Maybe if I- Annabeth reached forward and the next thing she said was incredibly weird. "You- are a Demigod." Everything blacked out.
I woke up in bed. Percy was by the bed, smiling like a maniac. Annabeth was leaning against the back wall, glaring at me with a fiery look of hatred. She was sipping something that looked like cross between apple and orange juice. Every sip she took made her calm down more. Percy handed me a glass of it. I accidentally touched his hand and immediately pulled back. His hand was incredibly gross. It was hot, sticky and sunburnt. I silently swore I would never again touch his hand. I took it again without touching his hand and sipped. It tasted like ice-cold apple juice my dad made from getting an apple, putting it in a bowl, and then smashing the apple with am hammer. It was delicious. Percy stared at me wistfully. "What does it taste like? For me, it tastes like fresh hot cookies." I looked at him weirdly. "Uh, apple juice." He shook his head and laughed. "Oh, you haven't tasted it yet." I took a long, loud slurp. He asked me again. "Mm, ice-cold apple juice." He laughed even louder. "Seriously, what does it taste like?" I glared at him. "Apple juice!" He shook his head. "Fine. Don't tell me." Percy opened the door and left. He came back with a girl that had sparkling blue eyes that shone like sapphires. She had long brown hair that was braided and thrown over her shoulder. She had a cyan dress and white boots that went up to her knees. Her lipstick was blood red and her skin was flawless. She had a load of mascara, but it looked perfect on her. Percy looked fazed by her, but said, "This is Selena. The daughter of Aphrodite." I nodded. Percy then said, "Do it." She said, "What did it taste like?" Her voice filled me with love and happiness. I found a sudden deep, burning desire to do what she wanted. I smiled and said, "Apple juice. Iced apple juice." Percy waved her off. Annabeth elbowed her towards the door. "So." Annabeth kicked Percy softly in the ankle and he stumbled to the door. Once me and Annabeth were alone, I felt awkward. "From the way you've reacted girl, I'd say you were Aphrodite's daughter." I stared at her, and immediately I knew that I shouldn't. Annabeth finished her drink and put it down. I wanted to shout, but I said calmly, "I can't be." But I knew she probably was right. I had brown hair that was always thrown over my shoulder in a braid, and eyes that changed colors every five seconds. Any clothes I wore, the teachers complimented me on style. Allison Zhou, the prettiest girl in my grade had said, "You know you're better-looking than me. But don't take this as a good thing." Then she had flipped her brown hair and walked away. (Not sure if that was a compliment or insult...) I hadn't noticed. She just said, "Run off to the Hermes cabin 'till you're claimed." She started walking away. I don't know why, but I blurted, "Annabeth, why do you hate me so much?" She stopped cold. She pivoted her heel and swished around to look at me. "You seem to noble. Now, run along."

Later at the campfire, I was still bored and unclaimed. One Athena kid, Nicholas Sapientia had taken a large shine to me. He was pretty nice-looking, with his jet-black hair to one side, pale skin, and kaleidoscope irises. He was incredibly talkative, though. He talked to me during the campfire until the fire turned so gold, it burned. The campfire got quiet. Gold wasn't one of the colors it could change colors to. Clarisse stood up, her spear shining by the fire. "Everyone, think bloodshed!" Everyone tried their best to think about it. The color of the fire stayed the same. Then, gold light filled the camp. Everyone was still closing their eyes when I heard a sparky teen voice say, "Sup, everybody." I turned, and saw a guy with a sleeveless yellow shirt that had the words: To be awesome or not to be awesome. He had Tommy Bahama red shorts on and worn-out brown sandals. A golden-wooded bow was slung over his back, and he had really tan skin. Aviator sunglasses were sitting on top of his golden hair. He was sporting a Million-dollar smile with pearl teeth. His golden eyes were sunny and playful. At first I thought he was a super-hot male model. Then I realized, everything he wore had a gold-satin sun on the corner. "Apollo?" I said. Will Solace laughed. "NO WAY. That is not Apollo! He should be more serious-like and all 'sun is the answer'-ish." Apollo narrowed his eyes. "I sure hope you aren't my son." Will Solace patted his jacket. "So, you aren't Apollo, then." Apollo scowled, which as I've heard, wasn't too common with him. "Yes, I'm Apollo, you blustering boy!" Will Solace froze. He turned scarlet. "I was- I meant- you... Apollo-?" He jumped off the top of the wood seat and ran. Apollo squinted and asked, "Who was that?" I coughed. Annabeth spoke up. "Um, Lord, that was Will Solace. Your oldest son." Apollo looked taken aback. He took off his Aviators. "My son? By who?" Annabeth snickered. "Lord, Maya Solace." Apollo blinked. "Oh." He said quietly. Then he jumped up. It felt weird Annabeth was calling this guy 'Lord'. He couldn't have been more than eighteen. Apollo's smile came back, and one of the Aphrodite kids sighed and squeaked, "Oh, My gods. He is so hot." Apollo stared at her. Annabeth planted a soft kick to her leg, and she squealed and closed her mouth. Apollo shook his head and started saying, "Moving past that... So, I just came to tell you I have a certain daughter that's going to fulfill a prophecy." I grumbled. Probably the unclaimed girl that was a shot at archery, and was amazing at full sun. But what he said next scared me. He said: "Roman Prophetiae Graeca." 











1 comment:

  1. Really cool. It has modern twists into it, has magic, and well, GREEK AND ROMAN STUFF!! It's a lot like Percy Jackson, which I bet is what you're basing this book on. It has a lot of feeling through the eyes of Roman. Many good details. 'Oh My gods. He is SO hot.' Ha ha ha! Everyone, even the ones that are not the main characters, you put much feeling onto them, making it easier to like, visualize them. Two thumbs up! I can' twain for the next part of Roman Chronicles, Book 1, Apollo. :)

    --Lisa

    ReplyDelete

The Art and Aspirations of a Commenter 
I believe in the power of a free exchange of ideas. I also recognize that words or access to
some information can be of harm to others, intentionally or unintentionally. As a
commenter, I therefore aspire to participate responsibly in the great online conversation
 by:
* treating all bloggers with respect.
* seeking first to understand what is being said.
* celebrating another's accomplishments.
* using school appropriate language.
* rephrasing ideas in the blog that made me think, made me feel, or helped me learn
to let the blogger know his/her voice has been heard.
* commenting specifically and positively, without criticism. If I disagree, I will
comment appropriately, politely stating my perspective.
* being mindful always that I may be a role model to my audience, especially if they 
are younger than I.
* making no reference to, link to, and/or giving access to any information that may 
 be inappropriate for a school setting.
* asking at least one question in my comment with the hopes of continuing a
conversation and deepening thinking.
* using a triple check before submitting any comment: Would I be happy to have my 
mother read this comment? My grandmother? My favorite teacher?