Monday, December 8, 2014

Hetalians: Chapter 2

A little later, I was bunking at Italy, Japan, and Germany's shared house.
"So, you guys are the Axis?" I asked, brushing my hair.
Japan nodded. Germany looked gruff, as usual. Italy happily whistled/said, "Axis POWERS! Pasta?"
"Yes, please." He gave me a bowl of pasta and I ate it hungrily.
"So, what do you guys do here?"
The liverwurst fell from Germany's fork. "Voo... here?"
"Ya, here. Where else?"
Japan coughed nervously. "Well, we really do not do much." He was incredibly quiet.
"What was that?"
Italy jumped. "He said we really do not do much. Good night. Merry Christmas. Arrivederci!"
~-~-~-~-~-~-
I came into Japan's room a little later to ask where the bathroom was. He was writing on parchment. I saw this: 新しいものが所ドイツ、イタリアに来ている、と私は共有しています。それは非常に奇妙である。彼女は非常に独特である。彼女はセルビアであると言い、しかし...伝説はセルビアが何年も前に姿を消したと言います。Of course, I couldn't read Japanese, but Japan was muttering what he he wrote in Japanese. "Atarashī mono ga Tokoro Doitsu, Itaria ni kite iru, to watashi wa kyōyū shite imasu. Sore wa hijō ni kimyōdearu. Kanojo wa hijō ni dokutokudearu. Kanojo wa Serubiadearu to ii, shikashi... Densetsu wa Serubia ga nan-nen mo mae ni sugata o keshita to iimasu."
I got what the message was, though. I understood someone speaking it, but not the writing. He was saying something weird..... something like, 'A new one has come to the house Germany, Italy, and I share. She is very strange. Unique, odd, one may say. She says she is Serbia... but legend has it Serbia disappeared many years ago.'
He rolled up the parchment scroll and turned around, seeing me. "Serbia?" He said in surprise.
"I saw the paper. Japan, can you keep a secret?"
"No."
"Ah, never mind." I turned around. He caught my shoulder.
"But if it's important, I can." He leaned forward.
"I'm not from this world," I whispered. "My real name is Claire. I don't know who Serbia is, or who she, or he, was... but I'm really hoping to leave this world soon."
He looked at me weird, but nodded in belief. But he looked sympathetic. "There is no leaving this world. You are part of it now." I heard that.
"Oh." I ran from the room, a little happy.
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
I woke up the next morning to the scent of soy sauce and fish. I walked into the kitchen. Japanese was humming and dumping soy sauce onto a cooking red snapper. He flipped the fish over on the pan and poured more soy sauce onto the fish. He sprinkled sesame seeds. Italy was doing ballet outside and singing about pizza and pasta. Germany was sitting next to.... Prussia! They each had an overflowing mug of beer in their hands, and were laughing hysterically. I screamed inside of my head and ran back behind the wall, listening to their conversation.
"--ORANGE AVIATOR!" They burst out laughing again.
Germany snorted/laughed and said/yelled, "SHE ASKED WHAT WE DO HERE!" They started laughing again. They were talking about me. I stepped out, then stepped back in.
"She's awfully schön, though." Prussia said quietly.
Germany raised an eyebrow. "You think she's schön, Prussia? Really?"
"Much."
I stepped out. "What's schön mean?" I asked.
Prussia jumped back and stood up to leave. "N-nothing. When did I say that? It means nothing, nothing at all." Germany nodded vigorously in agreement.
Japan smiled wickedly. Germany and Prussia left the room.
Japan said, "It means something I cannot tell you, Serbia. And to tell you, they have left to the next world meeting. There are two new countries again. Their names are Philippines and Honduras."
"New countries? That's........ cool! New people that aren't familiar to this world either! I'm gonna head to the meeting right now.  Can you talk louder, please?"
"This good?" Asked Japan.
"Yeah. OK, bye, have fun cooking that fish!"
"Fish can wait. I'll come with you to the meeting."
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
That hour, I saw Phillipines and Honduras for the first time. (Picture of Phillipines on left) Phillipines was a really pretty girl who's head was burdened with pink and purple flowers. Honduras was a very handsome, greenish-red eyed boy with black hair cut like Japan's. But other than the hair, he was the opposite of him. His sentences were incredibly improper, even for me, he wore a torn-up navy sweatshirt, cracked silver and dirt-covered aviators, ripped, acid-washed jeans, and old (really smelly) sneakers. He sashayed instead of walked, and had a really loud voice.
"OK! WHAT ARE WE DOING WHY AM I HERE WHERE AM I ANYWAY WOW I'M SURPRISED SERIOUSLY WHERE THE HECK AM I?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?"
Phillipines rolled her sparkly hazel eyes. "What are you doing here, moron?"
"Don't bust off my thinking, lady. Hey, what're you doing on Sat--"
"Shut UP, you good-defying, self-pampering rotten apple!" Phillipines yelled.
"So, Phillipines, how's it going?" I asked her.
She smiled. "Call me Piri. But it's going pretty good. Who's that over there? They're kinda adorable."
I snorted without even looking. "That would be Italy. Yeah, he's a 6-year-old in a twenty-year-old's body."
Then she glanced at everyone else. "Wow... red eyes. Never seen those before."
I sighed. Prussia..., I thought. I started talking to Honduras. His red-green eyes were scary, but enchanting. "Um, what're you doing here, Honduras."
"Dude, call m' Hayden. I say Hayden to the deaf, blond, gun-obsessed war-guy over there, and he thinks I say Honduras."
"Hey... I have a friend named Hayden. Nice to meet you, I'm--"
"Serbia, I heard."
"Nah, the name's actually Claire. I just woke up in the center of this room, and they think I'm one of them."
"Same with me, Claire. Hey, you know who that beauty is?" He pointed to a girl in the corner. She was military-looking, a beauty, yeah. (Picture on right.) She was laughing next to a guy in a navy tailcoat. (Pic on left) "Nope. Why?"
He talked to himself. "If I could get that Mozart guy away, maybe..."
"THE MEETING WILL START NOW!!!!!" I whipped my head around. It was Germany. "Eight minutes for speeches or stories! NO crossing time limit! Volunteer for going first?" The beauty raised her hand. Germany pointed to her. "HUNGARY! You're first!"
The girl, Hungary, stood and said, "I remember, yesterday, I was with Denmark at the clothing store. I saw this red Denmark soccer shirt and said, "Denmark you should wear this.", but Denmark started panicking, and he was like, "NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!'" (Denmark pic on right.) An incredibly nice-looking guy sitting at the corner of the table turned bright red. Hungary took a breath. "So I told Denmark, 'You LIKE soccer, why don't you want it?' Denmark said, 'Cause this in FRANCE'S STORE. If I buy it, it's my doom.' And I said, "Denmark, you're being ridiculous. It's a limited addition Denmark supreme champion team-signed soccer shirt for only sixty euros! THIS IS THE CHANCE OF A LIFETIME!" Then France just SWOOPED IN, and Denmark gulped and ran out of the store. I said, "France I'll take this shirt," and gave him the money. HE said...." Hungary's story went along much more that 8 minutes, but was very humoring. I went next. "Uh, OK, I came here yesterday. I don't know where exactly I came from. Or where exactly I am. I met some new friends, Italy, Japan, Germany, maybe even Prussia. They're all super nice. I met new people who also don't know where they are. Er, Phillipines and Honduras. I really don't know where I am, seriously, and I honestly, honestly don't know where I came from. But I believe I belong in this world. This world is AWESOME!"
Prussia instantly stood up and started clapping. "Especially me! ENCORE!"
I turned red as a rose. But then Germany stood up and clapped. Then Denmark. Then Italy. And even Japan. Soon everyone was standing up and clapping.
Suddenly there was a bang, and the ceiling of the meeting room crashed down on us.
There was someone I had never seen before, and he looked evil.
Italy ran to the door and yelled, "PASTA LA VISTA!"

2 comments:

  1. Salamat po,Serbia!That picuture looks like me alot doesn't it?

    ~Piri-tan

    ReplyDelete

The Art and Aspirations of a Commenter 
I believe in the power of a free exchange of ideas. I also recognize that words or access to
some information can be of harm to others, intentionally or unintentionally. As a
commenter, I therefore aspire to participate responsibly in the great online conversation
 by:
* treating all bloggers with respect.
* seeking first to understand what is being said.
* celebrating another's accomplishments.
* using school appropriate language.
* rephrasing ideas in the blog that made me think, made me feel, or helped me learn
to let the blogger know his/her voice has been heard.
* commenting specifically and positively, without criticism. If I disagree, I will
comment appropriately, politely stating my perspective.
* being mindful always that I may be a role model to my audience, especially if they 
are younger than I.
* making no reference to, link to, and/or giving access to any information that may 
 be inappropriate for a school setting.
* asking at least one question in my comment with the hopes of continuing a
conversation and deepening thinking.
* using a triple check before submitting any comment: Would I be happy to have my 
mother read this comment? My grandmother? My favorite teacher?