Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Baylee - Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Terrible Town


    It was a dark and stormy night. Trevor, the 14 year old boy was inside his large, two story house worrying. This was Terrible Town. Every night, someone was taken to their doom in a mysterious place.
    "Aarf! Aarf!" Trevor's dog, Buttons, barked. He would always bark when something was wrong. Smart dog. He had a bushy tail and a pitch black nose. KNOCK! KNOCK! KNOCK! Someone was knocking at the door. Without over thinking whether he should answer the door or not, he crept over and turned the door knob. He peeked his head out to see a helpless girl about his age. " Can you help me? I'm lost, and I think I might be next!" she exclaimed in a panicked voice.
    A flicker caught Trevor's eye. A homeless man was outside on his front lawn, hiding behind a bush. Trevor knew that if he let the girl in that he would have to let him in too. Out of the kindness of his heart he responded, "Come in."
   He hurried outside and grabbed the homeless man by the arm, and pulled him inside.
   Suddenly, Trevor heard his father's voice. " Trevor, I need you to feed Buttons. I'm coming downstairs with the food bag," Trevor's dad hollered.
   "Hide!"
    The homeless man and the girl hid behind the curtains, quiet as a mouse. Trevor's dad came down the stairs and looked at Trevor strangely. "What's up with you?" his dad asked. He had a deep voice with a little bit of rasp.
    " N-Nothing," Trevor stammered. Trevor's father didn't care enough to figure out what was really going on. He handed him the food bag.
   " Just feed Buttons."
   When his father left the room, Trevor let out a sigh of relief. He picked up the food bag and poured the dry dog food into Buttons' food bowl. He walked up to the curtains, certain that his dad was already back upstairs.
   "OK. You can come out now. He's gone," Trevor said to the helpless girl and the homeless man. Slowly, they stepped out of the curtains.
   "Now, who exactly are you?" Trevor asked.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Art and Aspirations of a Commenter 
I believe in the power of a free exchange of ideas. I also recognize that words or access to
some information can be of harm to others, intentionally or unintentionally. As a
commenter, I therefore aspire to participate responsibly in the great online conversation
 by:
* treating all bloggers with respect.
* seeking first to understand what is being said.
* celebrating another's accomplishments.
* using school appropriate language.
* rephrasing ideas in the blog that made me think, made me feel, or helped me learn
to let the blogger know his/her voice has been heard.
* commenting specifically and positively, without criticism. If I disagree, I will
comment appropriately, politely stating my perspective.
* being mindful always that I may be a role model to my audience, especially if they 
are younger than I.
* making no reference to, link to, and/or giving access to any information that may 
 be inappropriate for a school setting.
* asking at least one question in my comment with the hopes of continuing a
conversation and deepening thinking.
* using a triple check before submitting any comment: Would I be happy to have my 
mother read this comment? My grandmother? My favorite teacher?