Thursday, September 26, 2013

The Kangaroo Club; Chapter 2


It was the day before the first meeting of the Kangaroo School Club, Kangaroo Intermediate's famous school club. Himilaya was in the meeting room, putting the finishing touches on the decorations for the meeting. Unis and Davielle were getting three-dozen pizza boxes. Rane was bringing a bunch of fruit punch and LOTS of cups. Himilaya was making sure that the decorations were JUST RIGHT. She wanted everything to be perfect for the first meeting of the KSC. "Himilaya, is everything ready?" Himilaya's mom asked. "Yes!" Himilaya answered. At the meeting, Himilaya was the first to arrive. Then Unis and Davielle arrived with the pizza. Last to arrive was Rane, balancing cups on her head so she could hold the big bowl of fruit punch. "I sure hope they like it," Unis said. As usual, Davielle nodded in agreement. "Wow! The decorations look fantastic!" Rane said just before all the new members of the club arrived for the meeting. The KSC council members heard cries of "Ooo!" and "Ahhh!" as kids walked in, surveying the decorations, getting punch, and getting in line for their pizza. As soon as everyone had their food, they all sat in a circle. "Welcome everyone! I'm Himilaya, your president. Unis is the vice president, Davielle is the historian, and Rane is the secretary. We also have a new council member, being our treasurer, Velvet!" Himilaya said. Velvet stood up, smooting her white silk jeans. She waved, and said, "There will be elections for a new KSC president this fall. Be sure to vote for me!" "Uh, Velvet, we are not," Unis declared. "This year will be full of fundraisers, activities, and fun!" Himilaya went on, "and so there is a lot to get done. Your historian will give you a paper to your parents saying some of what we will be doing, and it will describe what our club is for. There is also an order form so you can get a t-shirt, and it also has a list of supplies we will need. Have a great week! We'll see you next Friday!" Rane turned up the music and looked curiously at Velvet. She was talking with some guy, probably her boyfriend, about the club. She leaned in to hear what they were saying. "I just can't believe that there won't be an election! Its OUTRAGEOUS!!!  And it ruins my plan to take over the club," was all Rane heard from Velvet because then everyone was ordered to leave, except Himilaya and Rane. Rane wondered what she should say to her friend, so she wouldn't freak her out, but so that she knew what Velvet was planning. How could she tell Himilaya?

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Art and Aspirations of a Commenter 
I believe in the power of a free exchange of ideas. I also recognize that words or access to
some information can be of harm to others, intentionally or unintentionally. As a
commenter, I therefore aspire to participate responsibly in the great online conversation
 by:
* treating all bloggers with respect.
* seeking first to understand what is being said.
* celebrating another's accomplishments.
* using school appropriate language.
* rephrasing ideas in the blog that made me think, made me feel, or helped me learn
to let the blogger know his/her voice has been heard.
* commenting specifically and positively, without criticism. If I disagree, I will
comment appropriately, politely stating my perspective.
* being mindful always that I may be a role model to my audience, especially if they 
are younger than I.
* making no reference to, link to, and/or giving access to any information that may 
 be inappropriate for a school setting.
* asking at least one question in my comment with the hopes of continuing a
conversation and deepening thinking.
* using a triple check before submitting any comment: Would I be happy to have my 
mother read this comment? My grandmother? My favorite teacher?