Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Jailbreak! Part 1

It was a silent night in the prison.  All of the inmates were sound asleep accept for one.........Doug Fergerson. It was the year 2134 and Doug was enclosed in the most solitary prison in the United States, Helms Prison.  He had been in prison for five years and was sentenced for ten more years to come.  He was the oldest inmate at Helms Prison at the time.  He attempted to sleep many times that night ,but he was restless.  His mind was racing with ideas, ideas of how to escape.  He had tried to escape two other times but failed. He just wanted out of this house of torture.  "Already tried sneaking through the air vents, I'm not strong enough to break concrete and making a reckless charge at the officers is just stupid," thought Doug.  "Why did I murder that guy anyways?" Doug asked himself.  All of a sudden, a high pitched noise filled the prison.  Doug had to cover his ears so he didn't go deaf! Doug's body filled with dread when he realised what that noise meant. He wished he would have escaped before this day came.  It was Punishment Day. All of the cells in Helm's Prison opened, so the inmates could file down the hallway and into the courtyard.  Doug slowly hobbled out of his cell and wobbled down the hallway.  "Hey Doug!," a loud voice behind Doug.  "Hey Jason," mumbled Doug.  Jason was Doug's best (and only) friend in prison.  Usually Jason cheered Doug up from what ever was bringing him down ,but nothing could cheer Doug up on Punishment Day.  "Come on dude, cheer up.  What are the odds you'll be chosen?" said Jason.  Punishment Day is a day when all the inmates were brought out into the courtyard and nine random inmates will be chosen from a jar to fight to the death in the junkyard and the winner will win the ultimate prize.....freedom.  "I just don't want you or I to die okay!!!" exclaimed Doug.  There was a long period of silence.  "Sorry, I just get worried about everything on Punishment Day," whispered Doug.  Doug and Jason had just walked through the huge wooden doors out into the courtyard. Doug and Jason sat down in steel chairs right next to each other, preparing for this terrible moment to begin.  All of a sudden, Chief  Buzzard stepped onto the stage.  "Welcome inmates of Helm's Prison to Punishment Day!  Punishment Day is a reminder of the wrong you have done to get here.  For punishment for doing crime, nine inmates will be forced to fight to the death until one stands above the rest.  That victor will receive the ultimate prize, freedom.  now let's get to the jar to draw the first name!" stated General Buzzard.  He walked across the stage to the jar and paused before he stuck his hand in.  He pulled a name and walked over to the stage to read the name.  What he said next, made Doug wish to have a heart attack.  Cheif Buzzard read this "Jason Grant."

7 comments:

  1. I love the names you gave your characters, especially Chief Buzzard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. write the second part!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesting story! Great writing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It had a lot of detail and you just wanted to see what would happen next!

    Mathew

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good dialogue it is a grate story

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good story! Clearly based off the Hunger Games, and that is one of the things that makes it so good.

    -Jack

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of the best storys I've read on this blog


    -Ryan

    ReplyDelete

The Art and Aspirations of a Commenter 
I believe in the power of a free exchange of ideas. I also recognize that words or access to
some information can be of harm to others, intentionally or unintentionally. As a
commenter, I therefore aspire to participate responsibly in the great online conversation
 by:
* treating all bloggers with respect.
* seeking first to understand what is being said.
* celebrating another's accomplishments.
* using school appropriate language.
* rephrasing ideas in the blog that made me think, made me feel, or helped me learn
to let the blogger know his/her voice has been heard.
* commenting specifically and positively, without criticism. If I disagree, I will
comment appropriately, politely stating my perspective.
* being mindful always that I may be a role model to my audience, especially if they 
are younger than I.
* making no reference to, link to, and/or giving access to any information that may 
 be inappropriate for a school setting.
* asking at least one question in my comment with the hopes of continuing a
conversation and deepening thinking.
* using a triple check before submitting any comment: Would I be happy to have my 
mother read this comment? My grandmother? My favorite teacher?