I felt a soft flutter on my ankle and I turned my head to see what it was, but I saw nothing. I felt the fluttering movement all around me as I whipped my head around frantically, trying to keep up with where the flutter was. Until finally I felt something dig into my head. I slowly, but carefully grabbed whatever was on my head. I felt a bunch of prickly feathers, and I knew at that point that the mysterious flutter was. One of the white birds that should have been on my wall. I sat down, stunned as tons of white, fluffy birds came flying in from my window. They circled the room a couple of times and finally landed on my dresser. I stared speechless until something hit my cheek. I was so startled that I tightened my hands, with the bird still in my grasp.
" Hey! What's your problem? You act like you've never seen birds before!" said the bird that was in my hand.
" I.... You..... But... wallpaper, fly, talk....alive? But it can' t be, your just birds."
" We prefer to be called pigeons."
No, I thought this can' t be true. Birds don't come to life. Its impossible. I must be dreaming. I pinched myself but, unfortunately, the pigeons were still there.
" We're not going any where," he said. We've got duties we got to take care of. "
" Like what? What is this great duty you must fulfill? No! Ya know what? It doesn't matter! Your just a bunch of creepy birds that need to go. Wallpaper or not."
"Our duty is you. You, you, you, you! "
" Birds! No way! Protect me from what? Getting grounded? Ha! You make me laugh."
" From the Pigeon God. The one that left your window open? "
I sat down and thought it all over. A Pigeon God? They must be kidding! They aren't even real!
No comments:
Post a Comment
The Art and Aspirations of a Commenter
I believe in the power of a free exchange of ideas. I also recognize that words or access to
some information can be of harm to others, intentionally or unintentionally. As a
commenter, I therefore aspire to participate responsibly in the great online conversation
by:
* treating all bloggers with respect.
* seeking first to understand what is being said.
* celebrating another's accomplishments.
* using school appropriate language.
* rephrasing ideas in the blog that made me think, made me feel, or helped me learn
to let the blogger know his/her voice has been heard.
* commenting specifically and positively, without criticism. If I disagree, I will
comment appropriately, politely stating my perspective.
* being mindful always that I may be a role model to my audience, especially if they
are younger than I.
* making no reference to, link to, and/or giving access to any information that may
be inappropriate for a school setting.
* asking at least one question in my comment with the hopes of continuing a
conversation and deepening thinking.
* using a triple check before submitting any comment: Would I be happy to have my
mother read this comment? My grandmother? My favorite teacher?