Thursday, January 16, 2014

Outlawed


I wish that my parents were alive, and I didn't have horrible Mr. and Mrs. Miller as foster guardians. So did my sister, Cecile. She tended to technically hate the Millers, and I don't blame her a bit. I don't know how much that I was right about the decision I made that Friday night, when the Millers were particularly cruel. I have to tell you right now the decision I made was probably a big mistake, but I made a decision:  Run away.
          Was that decision right? Probably. Me and Cecile packed our stuff and headed out. We planned the routine, so we knew how to sneak out. We've done it millions of times to visit the nearby bakery. The Millers Don't serve us food. It's either a piece of broccoli, or nothing. How I hate the Millers. The Millers were too busy watching a movie on Netflix with full blast to care about us: the two sisters who were about to have an amazing once-in-a-life-time-if-you-have-the-Millers-with- you experience:  Freedom.
I bet my life that if the Millers tend to read this, me and Cecile would be in serious trouble. Running out of Pond Lake City, we ran to Viktor City, the amazing city that displays the castle of King Orion. I've heard stories about King Orion. King Orion's wife died, and his daughter somehow disappeared at the age of three. 
Cecile wouldn't bear a night without hearing the story of king Orion. In Viktor City, we were practically lost in the tangled, canopy forest, when we met Finn. Finn the baker. He was indeed a baker, eighteen years old, one year older than me. He's the one who helped us. I know his black hair, the all-over-the-place bangs. "YOLO" was his life quote. He moved us into a second two story that his father bought with his money before he passed away. Finn's mother works eternally with no leave at Saint Curt's hospital. Funny name. Me and Cecile loved that house, and lived there, but one day all of that changed.

"Tasmine!" I woke up on my bed. Cecile was by my side, shaking me. "C'mon, Finn says he wants to see you!" Cecile shook my shoulders. I pushed a reddish auburn curl out of my eyes and got up. Finn. Bakery. Bed. Cecile. Right. I jumped up. Cecile walked out of the room, her purple apron fluttering over her blue dress. I trudged to the bathroom and changed, pulling a red cloak on me. Cecile brought me an apple and a small fruit basket to bring back some cake from the bakery.   

"Cake, okay? And with extra whipping. Eat the apple, the cereal's ran out," Cecile ordered, giving me a motherly hug even though she was ten. I nodded and walked out of the home, off to Finn's bakery. I noticed something different. Nobody turned to look at me, nobody turned to smile. Mothers shut their baby's eyes when I passed, and children ran away. People were acting like... I was an Outlaw. Ignoring me. I reached the door of the bakery and opened. Finn was at the counter, joking about dinosaurs with a ten-year-old girl with puffy red cheeks. I walked up. The girl rushed back to her mother. Everyone hurried out of the bakery at the sight of me. I sighed. "Finn, what's with this?" 
Finn closed his eyes, as if dreading the moment. "They made a law. All fosters are outlaws."
I bit my bottom lip. "All fosters?"
Finn nodded. "Did I say something opposite?"
I wished he had. I was an outlaw. I was taking this a little...too...easily. "Wait 'till Cecile hears." 
"Mind if i have lunch with you and Cecile?" Finn asked. I agreed. Me and Finn hurried on. When I opened the door of the house, I gasped. 

3 comments:

  1. Love the cliffhanger you used! This is really building up suspense to find out what happens next. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. REALLY AWESOME! are you in calling all authors?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank You! I am in calling all authors.

    ReplyDelete

The Art and Aspirations of a Commenter 
I believe in the power of a free exchange of ideas. I also recognize that words or access to
some information can be of harm to others, intentionally or unintentionally. As a
commenter, I therefore aspire to participate responsibly in the great online conversation
 by:
* treating all bloggers with respect.
* seeking first to understand what is being said.
* celebrating another's accomplishments.
* using school appropriate language.
* rephrasing ideas in the blog that made me think, made me feel, or helped me learn
to let the blogger know his/her voice has been heard.
* commenting specifically and positively, without criticism. If I disagree, I will
comment appropriately, politely stating my perspective.
* being mindful always that I may be a role model to my audience, especially if they 
are younger than I.
* making no reference to, link to, and/or giving access to any information that may 
 be inappropriate for a school setting.
* asking at least one question in my comment with the hopes of continuing a
conversation and deepening thinking.
* using a triple check before submitting any comment: Would I be happy to have my 
mother read this comment? My grandmother? My favorite teacher?