Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Once Upon A Time

Chapter Three

Crimson

Crimson found herself in her bedroom, even though it was time for lunch. Crimson had a sudden urge to just forget about her mother and pretend she wasn't destined to be an Evil Queen, but the coronation a week away, and nothing to do to stop it, she was anything but hopeful as she let Donia curl her furry cat-self around her neck. She had even now pledged to her mum that she would follow her mother's destiny no matter what. Her eyes began to water. 
Any second now Crimson's mum would come in the room, telling Crimson it was time for lunch, and Crimson knew it, but Crimson didn't want to eat.
She wanted to run away.
She knew just how to do it.
Crimson threw a purple hood over her shoulders and let Donia wrap herself around her neck like a furry scarf. 
Crimson put an apple in a pocket in her slim purple dress and looked herself in the mirror. She saw herself. Her dark hair, green eyes, and her crown.
Crimson took off her crown and stared at it, then put it back in a cupboard hesitantly before checking the clock and making sure the time was just right.
Then, she headed out the door of her room. She knew the castle she lived in very well, and she also knew one shortcut out of the castle.
"Crimson?"
Her mum. Crimson turned to see her mum indeed standing there, smiling. "It is time for lunch. May I ask where you are headed?"
"I-I'm taking a walk," Crimson lied and tightened her hood, putting on a practiced smile. 
"Well, then let it be," Her mum said before giving Crimson a suspicious look and leaving the room.
Crimson let out a relieved breath and then walked on until she reached a specific picture on the wall. Crimson tapped the picture three times and the picture moved to reveal a portal to outside the castle.
Crimson walked through the portal.
Crimson immediately found herself far away from the portal, in the village where all the citizens of the 'bad side' lived. Crimson walked on, cloak swaying as Donia shuffled on her neck. The village was, as usual, filled with jostling people, none of them minding Crimson at all as they hurried here and there. Cinderella's stepmother was, as usual, watering a garden of purple flowers. 
Crimson went on and on. Crimson saw the Big Bad Wolf's father, an old man with crazy hair and razor eyes, eating his meat raw inside his house. The man waved at Crimson and Crimson tried her best to look away.
The Evil Widow lived next to him.
Finally, Crimson reached the dividing line. The line was a tall wall that divided the 'good' and 'bad' side. 
Crimson started to climb up the wall, making sure no one noticed.

1 comment:

  1. I know some of this ties in with Little Red Riding Hood, but what other fairy tales are influencing you?
    Mrs.Goins

    ReplyDelete

The Art and Aspirations of a Commenter 
I believe in the power of a free exchange of ideas. I also recognize that words or access to
some information can be of harm to others, intentionally or unintentionally. As a
commenter, I therefore aspire to participate responsibly in the great online conversation
 by:
* treating all bloggers with respect.
* seeking first to understand what is being said.
* celebrating another's accomplishments.
* using school appropriate language.
* rephrasing ideas in the blog that made me think, made me feel, or helped me learn
to let the blogger know his/her voice has been heard.
* commenting specifically and positively, without criticism. If I disagree, I will
comment appropriately, politely stating my perspective.
* being mindful always that I may be a role model to my audience, especially if they 
are younger than I.
* making no reference to, link to, and/or giving access to any information that may 
 be inappropriate for a school setting.
* asking at least one question in my comment with the hopes of continuing a
conversation and deepening thinking.
* using a triple check before submitting any comment: Would I be happy to have my 
mother read this comment? My grandmother? My favorite teacher?