Chapter four
Perhaps Cyn would meet someone that would help her, give her a hand, but it seemed impossible. Cyn let Sugar on her shoulder and put an orange in the pocket that she had carefully sewn in the inside of her cloak. Sugar whined and Cyn smiled. "Sugar, we're running away. Get it now?"
Sugar fell silent and then let a happy yip. Cyn looked down her window. It was much too far to jump. Much, much too far. Cyn sighed and opened her door. She would lie to her mum and tell her she was going to go outside to eat lunch.
"Mum?" Cyn called, opening her door.
"Yes?" Cyn heard a call back, along with hurrying footsteps as her mum glided down the hall princess-like in a blue dress.
"Mum, may I go outside for lunch?" Cyn asked in a princess-like, practiced voice. Her mum smiled. "I grant your permission," Mum said, "but before you leave I expect you to comb your hair."
Mum left and I sighed and grabbed a comb and looked myself in the mirror.
She had the straight, Almond-brown hair and shiny blue eyes that caught the eye in an indescribable way, or as her mum had described it.
Cyn ruffled her blue dress and headed out. The sun shined on her head. As usual, the kingdom was cheerful and bright. The people were walking to the stores with children by their side.
Cyn stopped and looked at a missing sign, pinned to a tree:
MISSING
SCARLETTE RIDER, DAUGHTER OF RED RIDING HOOD AND THE BIG BAD WOLF
GONE SINCE: TWO YEARS A AGO
PRIZE MONEY: TWELVE MILLION GOLD
Cyn stared at the poster for a second, then memorized the name. Scarlette Rider. Scarlette Rider.
Cyn continued on and reached the forest that lead to the dividing line, the wall that separated the 'good side' and 'bad side' since the war.
Cyn tore through the forest smelling the fresh air. She paused by a bush of berries. Cyn picked a berry and examined it, checking for identifications of poison. Then, she heard a rustling.
A breathing. Someone was near. Cyn backed up near a tree, holding her hands up in surrender.
"Hi?"
Cyn heard the voice and screamed, falling to the floor.
"Hey, hey, please calm down- It's okay- are you fine?" A girl was in front of Cyn. Her hair was dark as the midnight sky, but what caught her attention was her beautiful emerald eyes that strangely caught the eye. Her skin was a creamy, healthy color.
"Who're you?" Cyn calmed down and stood up. "I'm sorry, I just-"
The girl smiled. A black cat was on her shoulder. She had a purple cape over a purple dress. "It's fine, I'm Crimson."
Cyn widened her eyes. "Crimson? From the 'bad side?'"
"Please, don't be scared. I just- I just came here because- hey. Aren't you Cynthea Rose? Daughter of Cinderella? What're you doing here?"
Cyn turned red. "Um- It's a lot of explaining."
Crimson just smiled. "Try me."
"Well, you see," Cyn began explaining and told her story and heard in amazement as Crimson told hers.
"So you're not evil?" Cyn asked.
"Please tell me I don't look like I'm evil." Crimson swallowed.
"You don't," Cyn replied, "but really! My mom thought the other side was evil!"
"No, It's really kind of normal. We've got shops... villages... nothing new."
"So you wanted to run away, right?" Cyn asked, changing the topic.
"Yup."
"Well, I do too."
"Seems like we've got some similar situations."
Cyn paused. "Tomorrow."
"What?" Crimson asked.
"Tomorrow. We'll run tomorrow. We can rely on each other to survive if we run."
"That's an Idea," Crimson said and fell silent.
I like this fairy tale mash up you are doing! Very creative :)
ReplyDeleteMrs.Goins