Monday, March 10, 2014

The Four Elements: Earth





Ursula heard pounding of leather bound drums. It was putting a good beat. Ursula knew that the village was ready to choose the next one who shall possesses a force of nature. Ursula really hoped that she could summon a force of nature. The land of Horonza was falling apart. The animals were dying. Plants were wilting. And sources were running low. Ursula also knew that if a series of bad things happened, there has to be a way to stop it. The Wise One of Ursula's village had pronounced that one of the three Chosen Ones shall possess a force of nature. When Ursula's name was announced, she was surprised. Ursula wasn't the richest of the village, nor was she the poorest. She had thought that the Wise One had made a mistake. Outside, the drumbeats stopped. Then the ram horn was blown. It would show the start of the ceremony. Nervously, Ursula walked out with the others. Taking a deep breath, she stepped forward. She was first because she was the daughter of the chief of the village. Flames sat in the middle of the circle. Ursula bent her head as the Wise One sprinkled the magic from when Horonza was formed. They were in all different sorts of colors, Ursula noticed. Then she waited. She waited and waited until the Wise One slowly raised a wrinkled hand and traced a symbol over her forehead. "The next possessor of a force of nature" the Wise One pronounced, raising Ursula's hand. "She possesses the force of the Earth." A gasp ran through the crowd. The Four Elements were legendary to the land of Horonza. And Ursula had possessed the force of Earth.

1 comment:

  1. This almost reminds me of a cross between Native American and fantasy genres. Very cool!
    Mrs.Goins

    ReplyDelete

The Art and Aspirations of a Commenter 
I believe in the power of a free exchange of ideas. I also recognize that words or access to
some information can be of harm to others, intentionally or unintentionally. As a
commenter, I therefore aspire to participate responsibly in the great online conversation
 by:
* treating all bloggers with respect.
* seeking first to understand what is being said.
* celebrating another's accomplishments.
* using school appropriate language.
* rephrasing ideas in the blog that made me think, made me feel, or helped me learn
to let the blogger know his/her voice has been heard.
* commenting specifically and positively, without criticism. If I disagree, I will
comment appropriately, politely stating my perspective.
* being mindful always that I may be a role model to my audience, especially if they 
are younger than I.
* making no reference to, link to, and/or giving access to any information that may 
 be inappropriate for a school setting.
* asking at least one question in my comment with the hopes of continuing a
conversation and deepening thinking.
* using a triple check before submitting any comment: Would I be happy to have my 
mother read this comment? My grandmother? My favorite teacher?