Monday, March 10, 2014

The Four Elements: Training



Ursula was blinded by light. The Four Elements were joined. Ursula felt excited. After they had joined, different trainers came to see how far they had excelled. Ursula thought that she had excelled pretty far. But how good WAS she? she thought, nibbling her fingernail nervously. Tying back her earth brown hair in a tight braid, she was ready to train. The trainer, Oliver, had taken each student separately and made them go through a series of courses. Each course was different for each Element. Ursula was ready. " Hello, Ursula. You are going to go through... this course." Oliver said. " Use what you know and I'll bring in the results later today." Ursula lined up to the start. " GO!" Oliver yelled and Ursula sped off. First she weaved through obstacles with fast reflexes. Running was one of her strong suits. Next she tried to block a strange creature that looked pretty terrifying to her. Oak tree branches weaved together to make a tight cage. She jumped into an underground tunnel and came back as fast as a cheetah chasing a gazelle. Then she passed through the finish. She thought it was kind of short. Oliver said that choosing the right course for her force was very difficult. That's why it had been shorter than the other courses. Oliver smiled and leaded her to the exit. Then he called for Jay. Personally, Ursula thought that Jay was a name that some poor person would name someone. Some name like Ariel would be a " Royal" name, like Ariel and her force of the Air. Ursula walked away, thinking how good or bad she had done.  

1 comment:

  1. Again, maybe a little more descriptive on the courses they are going through. I do like how you are having the characters make quick judgements on their competitors and questioning their names.
    Mrs.Goins

    ReplyDelete

The Art and Aspirations of a Commenter 
I believe in the power of a free exchange of ideas. I also recognize that words or access to
some information can be of harm to others, intentionally or unintentionally. As a
commenter, I therefore aspire to participate responsibly in the great online conversation
 by:
* treating all bloggers with respect.
* seeking first to understand what is being said.
* celebrating another's accomplishments.
* using school appropriate language.
* rephrasing ideas in the blog that made me think, made me feel, or helped me learn
to let the blogger know his/her voice has been heard.
* commenting specifically and positively, without criticism. If I disagree, I will
comment appropriately, politely stating my perspective.
* being mindful always that I may be a role model to my audience, especially if they 
are younger than I.
* making no reference to, link to, and/or giving access to any information that may 
 be inappropriate for a school setting.
* asking at least one question in my comment with the hopes of continuing a
conversation and deepening thinking.
* using a triple check before submitting any comment: Would I be happy to have my 
mother read this comment? My grandmother? My favorite teacher?