Saturday, April 12, 2014

Roman Chronicles: Book 1, Apollo: Chapter 6, Joining

I stared. What had I done. I turned around. There were about seventy people watching me, even Nico. They were all smiling and clapping, minus Nico, who had a dumbstruck look on his face. "No. No." He murmured. I looked at him. He was the only one who knew what I had done. He walked over to Nicholas, put his hand on his heart, and said: "Adipem suum concluserunt: Benedic, anima mea. Custodi Elysium sagacitate ejus in terram, et dimittam." Now, I was good at Latin, but not that good. I had no idea what the heck he had just said. "Nico..." Nico looked up. "What?" He glared at me. "I uh, what did you just say?" Nico glared at me, but then he stopped. He lifted his eyebrows, and said, "Uh, you just took somebody's life and asked me what I said? Whatever. I said, 'Hades, bless him. Take his keen mind and send his soul to Elysium.' Got it?" I stared at him. "Yes... Can all Hades kids do that?" He shook his head. "Nope. Anybody that's a child of the big three can do it. A selective couple of people." I looked at him. "I- I think I can save him."

Nico grabbed my arm and pulled me towards him. "You can... you can bring back one of the spirits?" He looked at me with a viciously hungry look in his eyes. "It think. I'm not sure." I replied. Nico thought about it. "I'm not helping." He stopped. "Uh, I'll watch." I spent all my day digging a hold in the forest. I told Nico to fetch some food and drinks. He came back a few minutes later with seventeen cans of Diet A&W. He took a sack off his shoulder, and it smelt suspiciously like Honey-BBQ chicken wings mixed with spice-and-dice curly fries. He dumped it in the pit, and turned out I was right. I popped open 15 of the 17 cans of soda, and poured them in. I popped open one for myself and gave one to Nico. He looked at it. "You... drink these? I thought they were just for spirits. Don't people just drink them on dares?" I stared at him. "No..." I took a drink of mine, and he took a tiny, cautious sip of his. He gagged and poured his in the pit. I picked a chicken wing out and ate it. Nico stood and walked to the pit. He took out his sword and stabbed it in the ground. He put his hands on the handle and knelt by the pit. He started mumbling, "Fata, deos. Putasne mortuus est in te. Propterea ut memoria tui sit thyn lacrimarum implere quibus unus est Christus Jesus. Veni in mundum, ut spiritus tuus, insulae ex Tartara benedictis. Dilexi, et odio, et bonum malum esse ostendere animae argentum simul. Monstra te relm spiritus tuus in me non pertinet. Roken in melius animae, tuus, o," Where did he find the time to learn this Latin? He kept on saying words and soon, black and silver mist started erupting from his sword. The soda turned a murky blood color and filled to the top. The food turned to bones and chunks of flesh and meat.The liquid splashed me, and I realized, It was blood. This was abnormal. Nico stopped chanting. He then said, "Nicholas Sapientia, show yourself!" A few forms popped up. One was a girl with flowing black hair the fell over her shoulders. She had olive skin, and beautiful green-brown eyes that were bright and happy. She was smiling. A floppy green cap was in her hand, and she was wearing a silver jacket, a black T-shirt, jeans, and white cowboy boots- the outfit of a hunter of Artemis. In her other hand, she was holding a silver bow carved with wolves. A quiver was slung over her pack, squeezed tight with sharp-tipped arrows. She had black leather gloves on each hand. At her feet was a silver wolf, most likely a spirit too. The second was a tall woman with a black sun hat on. She vaguely reminded me of Audrey Hepburn, but she wasn't her. She had olive skin too, and a long brown-black ponytail running down her shoulder. Her eyes were black, and she had blood-red lipstick on. She was wearing a black 40's dress, with a long string of pearls around her neck. Black high-heels with white roses on the toe area were on her feet, at first I thought she was a rich lady. But she wasn't. The third was... Nicholas. Nico was completely ignoring Nicholas, staring at the girl and woman. "Nico! Who cares about those people? Nicholas's right there!" Nico ignored me. He said, "Nicholas, et vade." Nicholas's form slowly started evaporating. I stared at Nico. "What are you doing?" I asked him, a phase of panic in my voice. He ignored me. The woman stretched out to touch Nico. "My love, Thy imbecile Zeus imprisoned me." Nico's eyes were filled with tears. "Mamma?" He looked like he wanted to cry. The woman smiled. "Yes, ma chere." Nico was about to start breaking out, but she dissapeared. The girl stepped forward. "Not trying to bring one back again, are we, brother?" I was stunned. They looked nothing alike. Nico bowed. I expected him to say yes, but he said, "Of course I would never, Bianca. I haven't seen you in a long time." Bianca smiled, and her silvery body dissapeared, along with the wolf. Then, a man appeared. At first sight, I knew it was Hades. "Father?" Nico asked. Hades huffed. "Not here for you, miserable boy." Nico stepped back. "I am here for her. You were never my daughter, child. You are the daughter of Ouranos, my grandfather." I gasped. Nico's eyes widened, but he didn't say anything. Hades waved his hand and dissapeared. "Ouranos? Kronos's dad?" I gulped and nodded. Nico looked dumbstruck. I walked to the big hall, along with Nico. "Chiron?" I asked. Chiron came out. "Well! If it isn't the child of Hades herself." I shook my head. "Director? Uh, Hades just told me..." Chiron's expression froze. "Hades just told you? Hades?" I nodded. "Uh, well he told me... I'm not his child. Dad is Ouranos." Chiron froze again. He said, "This is bad. Very bad. The prophecy stated..." He stopped. Nico went forward. "What did the prophecy state?" Chiron shook his head. "I have already said far too much. Please, go." Me and Nico left. We sat on a log outside the Hades cabin. We were both crunching cinnamon toast. "You know, you can still stay in the Hades cabin. Not like i'm ever going to be in there." I thought about it. Nico had a good offer. "Okay. But that's the reason Hades came at all... so wouldn't that be disrespecting Hades?" I asked. I shouldn't have said that. Nico scowled and said, "Not like he'd care. Probably just torturing the dead." Nico stood up and said, "I have to uh, talk to Alexa." He started walking away. "That Huntress? The pretty one with the brown hair and multi-color eyes?" He turned scarlet. "Uh, yeah." He walked away, faster than before. Once he was out of sight, I just leaned back and closed my eyes. Then, I heard a petrifying shriek. I ran over to the sound. Alexa was on the ground, almost all the life sucked out of her body.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Art and Aspirations of a Commenter 
I believe in the power of a free exchange of ideas. I also recognize that words or access to
some information can be of harm to others, intentionally or unintentionally. As a
commenter, I therefore aspire to participate responsibly in the great online conversation
 by:
* treating all bloggers with respect.
* seeking first to understand what is being said.
* celebrating another's accomplishments.
* using school appropriate language.
* rephrasing ideas in the blog that made me think, made me feel, or helped me learn
to let the blogger know his/her voice has been heard.
* commenting specifically and positively, without criticism. If I disagree, I will
comment appropriately, politely stating my perspective.
* being mindful always that I may be a role model to my audience, especially if they 
are younger than I.
* making no reference to, link to, and/or giving access to any information that may 
 be inappropriate for a school setting.
* asking at least one question in my comment with the hopes of continuing a
conversation and deepening thinking.
* using a triple check before submitting any comment: Would I be happy to have my 
mother read this comment? My grandmother? My favorite teacher?