Sunday, April 13, 2014

After Whatever After: Rapunzel


Oof! I land on the ground. I look up. A girl, probably in her teens, is looking at me, hands on her hips, an angry look on her face with her hair slung on the side. I barely make the contact with my fingertips. It feels lush and soft, as if it were a cloud. I continue observing her. She has sun kissed skin, and the eyes are the most shocking part: She has spring violet eyes. At the center of the pupil, it is dark purple, but as the color of the iris spreads out, it gets lighter and lighter. A voice behind me surprises me. "Abby! Watch out!" Jonah says to me. I scoot away from the window. Raps zeal speaks. "Well? Who are you? Why are you here?" She continues with the questions about us as Jonah falls through the window. Rapunzel looks up at Jonah and starts speaking to him. I clear my throat, like a judge, and say "I am Abby and this-" I point to Jonah."-Is Jonah and ummm.... We took a wrong turn around here and well...." Rapunzel doesn't look convinced and I flatter on the word. Jonah appears behind me and asks "Do you know where Jack is?" I roll my eyes. I explain to Rapunzel. "Sorry, he's obsessed with the story 'Jack and the Beanstalk.'" Rapunzel looks at Jonah again, this time with disgust. I give her a knowing smile. She returns it, but slightly. I hear a knock on the door. "Rapunzel, my dear! I heard some noise so I thought that I would see what it is! Open the door!" It was a old and creaky, frail voice and it scared me. Rapunzel hissed us instructions. I grab Jonah and go into Rapunzel's wardrobe. There are many pretty dresses. I dive in between a lime green one and a sea blue dress. Jonah hides in between a shocking, hot pink dress and a regal purple one. I close the door as Rapunzel opens the door. I shush Jonah. I quietly listen to the conversation. Rapunzel says "Oh, Dame Mother Gothel, I was just looking for something." I guess that Dame Mother Gothel wasn't convinced so she started looking around. She reached the wardrobe. NO MOTHER GOTHEL, DON'T OPEN THE DOOR. DON'T OPEN THE DOOR!!!!!! I think desperately. Crumbs. She opens the door and looks around carefully. My hand starts bleeding. AGAIN. Finally, she says "Oh! Who do we have here?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Art and Aspirations of a Commenter 
I believe in the power of a free exchange of ideas. I also recognize that words or access to
some information can be of harm to others, intentionally or unintentionally. As a
commenter, I therefore aspire to participate responsibly in the great online conversation
 by:
* treating all bloggers with respect.
* seeking first to understand what is being said.
* celebrating another's accomplishments.
* using school appropriate language.
* rephrasing ideas in the blog that made me think, made me feel, or helped me learn
to let the blogger know his/her voice has been heard.
* commenting specifically and positively, without criticism. If I disagree, I will
comment appropriately, politely stating my perspective.
* being mindful always that I may be a role model to my audience, especially if they 
are younger than I.
* making no reference to, link to, and/or giving access to any information that may 
 be inappropriate for a school setting.
* asking at least one question in my comment with the hopes of continuing a
conversation and deepening thinking.
* using a triple check before submitting any comment: Would I be happy to have my 
mother read this comment? My grandmother? My favorite teacher?