Wednesday, April 9, 2014

The House on Maple Street

Halloween

A doorbell rings. Ding! I race to get it. My best friend is there, dressed as a vampire. "Come on!" He says. I rush out the door. Everyone is dressed in their costumes as they yell " Trick-or-treat!" To thee ole in the neighborhood. We receive candy and treats, but the dentist gave us a toothbrush, toothpaste,floss, and an apple. ( Wonderful. Simply wonderful.) Then my best friend and I bump into the people we hate most: Tommy and his group of cronies. "Psst!" He says, beckoning us. I look at my friend uncertainly, but we follow. We go to an empty intersection. "You know it's Halloween, right?" he says mischievously. We nod. " And there's a lot of spooky stuff, right?" we nod again. "Okay. I have the ULTIMATE scare-your-pants-off dare." ho continues. " We dare YOU to go to the house on Maple Street."

" No!" I  scream, backing away from him, but one of his cronies pushes us forward. We slowly start on Maple Street. Tommy and his gang are laughing, at our heels. I slowly knock the door as I close my eyes and cover my face with my hands, bracing myself for what was going to happen .




1 comment:

  1. I'm speechless,that's really... amazing.
    -speedy gonzales

    ReplyDelete

The Art and Aspirations of a Commenter 
I believe in the power of a free exchange of ideas. I also recognize that words or access to
some information can be of harm to others, intentionally or unintentionally. As a
commenter, I therefore aspire to participate responsibly in the great online conversation
 by:
* treating all bloggers with respect.
* seeking first to understand what is being said.
* celebrating another's accomplishments.
* using school appropriate language.
* rephrasing ideas in the blog that made me think, made me feel, or helped me learn
to let the blogger know his/her voice has been heard.
* commenting specifically and positively, without criticism. If I disagree, I will
comment appropriately, politely stating my perspective.
* being mindful always that I may be a role model to my audience, especially if they 
are younger than I.
* making no reference to, link to, and/or giving access to any information that may 
 be inappropriate for a school setting.
* asking at least one question in my comment with the hopes of continuing a
conversation and deepening thinking.
* using a triple check before submitting any comment: Would I be happy to have my 
mother read this comment? My grandmother? My favorite teacher?