Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Diversions: Book 1, Start: Chapter 3 out of 22, Sun

She grinned. "Celeste?" Chiron looked up. "What are you doing? Did Percy and Annabeth drop you off already?" He asked. Celeste frowned. "What? Mommy and Daddy? Of course not!" She huffed. She ran over, grabbed the shield from my hands, unsheathed her sword and used it to slam the Drakon's tail closed. "Sheesh. Wasn't that big a problem." She said proudly. She's pretty, I'm jealous. I thought. And she was. Her blonde hair fell loosely over her shoulders and her grey-blue eyes sparkled. She spotted me. "Who you?" She asked. "Uh... Skylar Di Angelo." I said nervously. Her eyes widened. "Di Angelo? DI ANGELO?! W-what- but how- Nico was... He was- Bianca- gloomy- H- Hades? Bu-but...?" She spluttered. She no longer looked proud. Her eyes lost their sparkle. They turned grey and gloomy. She sighed deeply and said, "Let's get this straight. Nico- Nico Di Angelo was your dad?" She asked. She tried to be calm but I saw a craze in her eyes. "Yeah. Is that strange?" "HA! Is that strange? Is that strange? Nico- Nico died. Hades is your grandpa. HADES. So, have you been claimed?" She asked impatiently. I was confused. "Uh- claimed- oh, yeah! Claimed! No." She shook her head and handed me a juice box. But it shimmered gold and silver words were etched in: Nectar! 100% Natural! No Ambrosia added. I stared, but took the juice box. I drank it. It tasted like poison. Acid. I spluttered and coughed. I choked. I felt a burning sensation in my body, but shook my head and the threw the box on the ground. "Are you trying to poison me?" I asked. She was dumbstruck. "That- Nectar is supposed to help you! What did it taste like? For me it tastes like fresh cookies and steaming briscuit." I glared at her darkly. "It tasted like Poison and Acid that were burning, then nails. I was going to die!" She took the juice box. She grabbed one of her arrows, sliced open the top, then she poured it on the ground. It was apple juice. She put her finger in it, tasted, and hacked. "This is not Nectar!" She frowned at Chiron. Chiron shook his head. "Obviously, this was Dylan and Nick Stoll." He said. Celeste shook her head. "This is water from the river Phlegethon." Chiron said "No, that is mad. That river is in Tartarus." "I KNOW WHAT IT TASTES LIKE!" Celeste roared. "Mommy gave some to me." She was only 11, but she looked rough, in a pretty way. I grinned. She was going to be my new friend. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Art and Aspirations of a Commenter 
I believe in the power of a free exchange of ideas. I also recognize that words or access to
some information can be of harm to others, intentionally or unintentionally. As a
commenter, I therefore aspire to participate responsibly in the great online conversation
 by:
* treating all bloggers with respect.
* seeking first to understand what is being said.
* celebrating another's accomplishments.
* using school appropriate language.
* rephrasing ideas in the blog that made me think, made me feel, or helped me learn
to let the blogger know his/her voice has been heard.
* commenting specifically and positively, without criticism. If I disagree, I will
comment appropriately, politely stating my perspective.
* being mindful always that I may be a role model to my audience, especially if they 
are younger than I.
* making no reference to, link to, and/or giving access to any information that may 
 be inappropriate for a school setting.
* asking at least one question in my comment with the hopes of continuing a
conversation and deepening thinking.
* using a triple check before submitting any comment: Would I be happy to have my 
mother read this comment? My grandmother? My favorite teacher?