Saturday, November 22, 2014

Invincible Species: Chapter 1

Hello, readers of this story. If you are reading this, it must be hundreds of thousands of years into the future, when once-lings are finally bred in captivity. We are the Pack. The survivors of the old and cruel world, the dogs, wolves, and other claw-born. We live in cities we made. No, not the humans. Us. Anyway, may the story begin.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
TERRA's VIEW
Cobra was having a very. Bad. Day. FIRST, Cobra had been exiled, along with me. I was trying to take it lightly, but was incredibly nervous. Back up. My name's Terra, purebred border collie. I'm pure white, which attracts quite the amount of attention. Cobra is a German Shepherd, normal colors, but is the most athletic in the clan we used to be in. I slashed my claws on the sharpening stone and sat on the dog bed. "DUDE. We can find another clan! And plus, other's are going in the exile train, too. Asher, and Donovan, and Holmes, Riley, Lakewood, Shark.
Cobra took a deep breath and pawed the floor. "But! Vulcan, Tiberius, Venus, Rockets, they weren't exiled, and they're the SPACE SQUAD! We're pathetic, bud!" His black claws traced out three scratches over a shield. Our used-to-be clan's marking. His golden-green eyes were darkened.
"Imagine what Skykiller would say. YOU'RE ABANDONING THE SQUAD!, or maybe PATHETIC IM-BE-CILES!" Cobra roared, sharply pronouncing each syllable of imbeciles. His sharp pearl-white teeth were fully showing as his dark pink gums were pulled back in a vicious snarl.
I took a deep breath and put a black-clawed paw on his back, since he didn't have a shoulder like once-lings. "Skykiller could never achieve the athleticism you have, Cobra!"
Cobra grumbled and growled something under his breath. "Sure, Terra. Sure. Then, how again, did he somehow down thirty Cat-Kane armies in a single blow? That's STUFF. And he's an Irish Setter. A setter killed so MANY Cat-Kanes!"
I snorted. "I'll stop trying. Anyway, get the things packed. Shark's picking us up. I've never understood Elkhound. He's hot, though."
"I've never understood female dogs. He's here, anyway." Cobra stuffed the bones in with his muzzle and snapped shut the case. We walked out into the snow and I saw shark. His thick, black-silver-and-white coat was glistening in the sparkling white snowflakes. The pine-green eyes I remembered were flashing like the evergreen behind him. And stout, muscular legged each had four sharp, obsidian hooks on a paw.




COBRA's VIEW
I quickly shielded my face with my gold paw. Shark's Norwegian Elkhound-ness I just disliked. I love sled dogs, so I didn't know my juice with Shark. I mean, Riley, Holmes, Lakewood- they were all huskies, malamutes, Samoyed, they were awesome. But Shark was just a show-off with the posture, speed, muscles, fangs- dang, he was just well-made, too. Shark's hook-claws sank into the snow as he walked towards us.
"Hey, Cobra... oh, and Terra.... you seen Riley? Man, sometimes I could just strangle that Samoyed.... anyway, he's going to miss the E.T.D." , Shark barked.
"HEY GUYS OVER HERE HEY I'M OVER HERE DON'T IGNORE ME!" I hear the unmistakable ruff-ruff of a Samoyed I know very well, and perk my ears.
"Riley! Once-lings, I thought you were going to become an Exile Skipped! Darn Skykiller, inventing 'Exile Skipping'... Irish Setters just go wild sometimes."
Riley looked troubled. "Er, Cobra Cat?"
"Don't call me that."
"OK. Cobra? Um, about Skykiller.... you know how he fell into Kat Kanyon?"
I darkened. "Yeah, the Diamond Lynx got 'im."
"No big deal, right?" He nervously stuttered. "Because..."
"NO BIG DEAL?! Riley, Skykiller was my FATHER! My dad was killed by the D.L. and THROWN in the RIVER! I ripped out the leader's soul! Now he's a babbling bobcat, not the conceited, clever cat leader he used to be!"
"Skykiller wasn't thrown into the river."
I snorted. "SURE. And he's definitely alive!"
"He's not dead. The Diamond Lynx.... the D.L..... they.... Cobra, I can't do it! I can't tell you!"
I sank a single straight, sharp claw into a nook in an old tree and the entire thing fell. Shark yelped and quickly jumped out of the way. Riley gulped. "Gosh, Cobra. I was going to tell you. Skykiller is alive. And he's on the exile train right now."
It was my turn to gulp. "Dad?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Art and Aspirations of a Commenter 
I believe in the power of a free exchange of ideas. I also recognize that words or access to
some information can be of harm to others, intentionally or unintentionally. As a
commenter, I therefore aspire to participate responsibly in the great online conversation
 by:
* treating all bloggers with respect.
* seeking first to understand what is being said.
* celebrating another's accomplishments.
* using school appropriate language.
* rephrasing ideas in the blog that made me think, made me feel, or helped me learn
to let the blogger know his/her voice has been heard.
* commenting specifically and positively, without criticism. If I disagree, I will
comment appropriately, politely stating my perspective.
* being mindful always that I may be a role model to my audience, especially if they 
are younger than I.
* making no reference to, link to, and/or giving access to any information that may 
 be inappropriate for a school setting.
* asking at least one question in my comment with the hopes of continuing a
conversation and deepening thinking.
* using a triple check before submitting any comment: Would I be happy to have my 
mother read this comment? My grandmother? My favorite teacher?