Sunday, November 23, 2014

Invincible Species: Chapter 4

ELI's VIEW
I was a murderer. One who killed their own wounded mother? I was practically a human. I wondered what Ivan and Celeste were doing. Celeste was MY age, three and a half years, and my very best friend. IVAN was a year older, and took Celeste as his mate. How did he get a purebred Malamute as his mate? Is shook off the thought, wondering about my aunt Dawn instead. She was the greatest Aussie Shepherd that ever lived. I walked towards the corner of the train, did the Novelty Kat Whistle, or N.K.W., and fell asleep. I woke up to the familiar sound: SWOOSH BANG SWOOSH BANG SWOOSH SWOOSH BANG- SWOOSH BANG SWOOSH BANG SWOOSH SWOOSH BANG!
The same order of 'swoosh' and 'bang' each time, swoosh bang swoosh bang swoosh swoosh bang, pause. The rest of the dogs looked unsure, even the German Shepherd who had killed mother. I barked confidently. "Guys, I've been here before. That's the waterfalls, don't worry." My paw slashed against the thick, silver chains. They fell to the ground with a earsplitting BANG! and the doors slowly shifted open. All of the dogs stood in awe as they stared at the tall-grassed, lush fields of the Exile Area. Rapid rivers and still lakes dotted in the distance, and many miles away, snow-capped mountains jutted out of the ground. Pine trees that looked like toothpicks from our distance were EVERYWHERE. The German Shepherd took a deep breath.
"I think I'm gonna like. It. Here."

COBRA's VIEW
(No, this isn't a pattern I'm putting the characters in. Whoever is the most important at the moment get's the ______'s VIEW.)
I whipped my head around, it was paradise. But I saw something HIGHLY unusual. Albino deer. Everywhere. Albino deer were super rare in Clawstone, the village I lived in. When one was seen, it was against the law to ignore it. You were supposed to kill it instantly with the traditional method- pinning it to the ground with your claws, sideways so the deer's coat wasn't harmed, and biting the neck to kill it. If Village Leader Stone were here, he'd order poison-gassing, killing every living thing within fifty miles. Their coats absorbed heat, so they were great for keeping warm, and their skins were a brilliant white, so they were the perfect material for scratch paper. (Literally, we scratch the paper to make words, symbols, and pictures.) The meat is no different than other meat, so it goes in the cooking pot. When an Albino BUCK was found- there was no stopping Stone. He'd kill it painfully and take the horns for himself, crafting them into all sorts of armor and claw sharpeners. Now, Stone wasn't a bad guy. We weren't once-lings, we don't have currency, we don't sell things. Nothing has money value. Everything from the deer contributed to the whole village, discluding the horns. (Or antlers, whatever you call them.) My mouth was practically foaming. We all stared at the lush fields that were filled with deer. Riley bounded towards a fat mother and sank his teeth into the neck.
But.... he couldn't. Riley's teeth chipped against the skin.
Eli quickly ran over and tended to the broken teeth.
"Donovan!" I barked. The greyhound came running.
"Yes, Cobra?" I gave him a solemn look. Donovan ran to get my bag and retrieved it for me. I inserted one of my straight claws into the lock and it flew open. Quickly grabbing a meat-covered bone with my teeth, I ran over to Riley. Samoyed dogs needed CONSTANT feeding. Ignoring my incredibly strong hunger, I put the bone into Riley mouth. Riley fell asleep.
He was sleeping, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Art and Aspirations of a Commenter 
I believe in the power of a free exchange of ideas. I also recognize that words or access to
some information can be of harm to others, intentionally or unintentionally. As a
commenter, I therefore aspire to participate responsibly in the great online conversation
 by:
* treating all bloggers with respect.
* seeking first to understand what is being said.
* celebrating another's accomplishments.
* using school appropriate language.
* rephrasing ideas in the blog that made me think, made me feel, or helped me learn
to let the blogger know his/her voice has been heard.
* commenting specifically and positively, without criticism. If I disagree, I will
comment appropriately, politely stating my perspective.
* being mindful always that I may be a role model to my audience, especially if they 
are younger than I.
* making no reference to, link to, and/or giving access to any information that may 
 be inappropriate for a school setting.
* asking at least one question in my comment with the hopes of continuing a
conversation and deepening thinking.
* using a triple check before submitting any comment: Would I be happy to have my 
mother read this comment? My grandmother? My favorite teacher?