Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Quest to Normal: Chapter 1

I quickly jumped out of the tiny, splintered (and splintering) shack I called home. It was basically big enough to fit me, and only me, but me and my brother (parents dead) shared it. My brother was a blue-eyed brunette, with raggedy, uncombed hair, dashing blue eyes, and over-tanned skin. He was always smiling contently, like he had all he wanted. I was the opposite.
I had the same dashing eyes, but green, and was golden-blond, shorted hair. I was fair, (ha, that was ironic, I was always in direct sunlight) and usually had a playfully cruel smirk on my face. My brother had been crouching down on the floor to sleep, and was stretching. We had built this shack when I was nine, and my brother was thirteen. NOW, oh god, time's passed. I'm sixteen, and Jacob's twenty-one in two months. Yeah, yeah. Jacob's my brother. My name's Spencer. Spencer BRADLEY, actually. My mom and dad died, what, eight years back? I don't care, at all, now. My stomach roared. 
Scratch that. I'm starving. If I still went to school, I could get a cheap-ish lunch every day. But NO. I have to hunt. Sometimes without success. In a tiny forest. In the middle of nowhere. With no actual human contact. I walked down to the lake and washed my face. 
"Golden fields of shining grain.
Emerald grass on a pretty, soft plain.
The moon shines down, on the earth.
Beauty's spark in a flaring hearth." Sings a voice, deep, sweet, and melodious. 
I instantly know it's Jacob. He makes up poems as he walks in nature, and sings it as he comes up with it. He has the greatest voice in the world, and that's a fact. 
"Great song, Jake."
He grins. "Jacob. And thank you, Spence. That means a lot. It's all about you, y'know."
"Oh, I noticed. You only make songs about us. Since when is my hair grain? Spencer Hair Bread! Sounds delish, right?"
He smiled. "What a great brother. Hey, I hear inspiring of our life!"
I groaned but nodded. "Sing!"
He grinned, and started without hesitation.
 "As I walk upon the shallow waters of the earth
I notice that every single little thing has worth
and I say to myself, even in the darkest light
there's a diamond, shining, oh, so bright. How's that?"
"Fantastic. Imagine.... going to Broadway, whatever THAT is, and becoming famous, singing every day to huge, adoring crowds, living in huge mansions, slurping down strawberry shakes through a gold-lined straw, in a yacht in an indoor lake.... sounds amazing, right?"
Jacob snorted. "Sure. I like this light, singing to an adoring brother, on a sparkling, natural lake, in beautiful sun. C'mon, we need to hunt. Well, you need to hunt. I hate killing things. I'm SO hungry."
I laughed, and grabbed my bow. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~____________~~~~~~~~~~~~
I shot the fish, then put it in my bag. I shot three more, and filed them neatly into the now-cramped, ragged leather satchel. On the way back, I pass a field. I sit down, but.... something was just plain uncomfortable. A large, square lump. I brush the dirt away, to reveal a metal heart. I brush all of the dirt and dig out the entire... box. It was beautiful, polished oak, with a metal heart in the center. It was lined with lovely curls of silver. I rushed back to the lake, realizing on the way... there was a bright gold lock, like a slab of gold connected to the wood of the box.
~~~~~~~~~~_____________~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
OK, I'm stalling. Still haven't told Jacob. 
Jake swallowed the last bite of roasted fish, slightly under cooked. (HEY! It was over a fire.) I hadn't even touched my first fish. 
"If you won't eat that fish..."
"NO, I'M GOING TO EAT IT." I ripped out a bite of fish, chewing, chewing, ow, chewing... wait... I took the chewed up fish out of my mouth.
"GROSS, Spence." Jacob laughed.
There was a silvery-gold key, with three intricate dents, shaped like swirls. On the top of the key? A magnificent silver heart, identical to the one on the box.

1 comment:

  1. That's what I imagined my little brother said in his head when he found a bone in his chicken salad.XD

    ~Piri-tan

    ReplyDelete

The Art and Aspirations of a Commenter 
I believe in the power of a free exchange of ideas. I also recognize that words or access to
some information can be of harm to others, intentionally or unintentionally. As a
commenter, I therefore aspire to participate responsibly in the great online conversation
 by:
* treating all bloggers with respect.
* seeking first to understand what is being said.
* celebrating another's accomplishments.
* using school appropriate language.
* rephrasing ideas in the blog that made me think, made me feel, or helped me learn
to let the blogger know his/her voice has been heard.
* commenting specifically and positively, without criticism. If I disagree, I will
comment appropriately, politely stating my perspective.
* being mindful always that I may be a role model to my audience, especially if they 
are younger than I.
* making no reference to, link to, and/or giving access to any information that may 
 be inappropriate for a school setting.
* asking at least one question in my comment with the hopes of continuing a
conversation and deepening thinking.
* using a triple check before submitting any comment: Would I be happy to have my 
mother read this comment? My grandmother? My favorite teacher?