Friday, January 17, 2014

Outlawed Part 5

I didn't know what happened. I wasn't crying, I wasn't wailing, for Pete's sake, I wasn't even laughing. I was frozen, just frozen. As if I couldn't take it in. Me being Princess. Losing Cecile. Forever. I tried to force a tear, make it look sad, but nothing happened. My head was swarming, my mind racing to keep up with all the information in minutes. My heart was throbbing, and my mind was just frozen. I didn't even blink. All I could do was watch. As the minutes ticked by, as the heart wave machine beeped impatiently. I looked at Cecile. Her eyes were still open, pointed to the heavens. The heavens shall she be. I dropped my head. A tear rippled down, finally, two three, four. Countless. But I made no noise. No wailing, crying. Sadness was missing. Her last words were simply 'Bye.' Or was I dreaming? I was really safe in bed, in the house, okay, silent, fine. I was dreaming this long dream. I didn't pinch myself for certainty. No. This was real, and I was shocked. I was frozen, countless tears rippling down my cheeks. A nurse rushed in along with an Android, who pulled the rolling bed out. I just sat there, in the chair. My curls were tucked safely behind my ears, my eyes filled with tears. I covered my eyes with my hands. "Cecile?" I whispered. She'd said she'd be with me. Out of somewhere, my heart maybe, I heard her simply reply. It wasn't paranormal to me, just what she'd promised. She'd be with me. A soft reply, so faintly you couldn't hear it. Yes. 
Finn came in the room. He looked so different. So gloomy, not his goofy self. His sarcastic self. He was simply looking at the floor, emotionless, his bangs covering his eyes. "I heard." He said. I nodded, still silently crying. "That you were princess." 
I nodded again. "I'll help you, if you want." Finn kept his distance. I could see his eyes were bloodshot red. His face was pale, so pale you'd think he was a vampire short of monstrous fangs. I nodded. His bangs still covered his eyes. "I could do with more memory space in my brain." I whispered. Finn simply nodded. He, like me, used simple gestures when sad. It was silent, so silent. "You're not feeling anything paranormal...?" He said. I smiled. "No." I said weakly. "Not paranormal. Just what she promised. She'd stay with me."
Finn nodded. "I feel like she's here for some reason." Finn swallowed. "Her rose perfume." I explained. "Don't you want to see her funeral?" He asked. "Why is there a need? She's with me. Now. I can feel her next to me." I said. "You could use a stroll. In the park. It seems a weird thing to do at the moment but-" 
I nodded in response before Finn could finish. Cecile's funeral was something I needed time to bear. I needed time. But I couldn't help but remember. I was Princess Tasmine.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Art and Aspirations of a Commenter 
I believe in the power of a free exchange of ideas. I also recognize that words or access to
some information can be of harm to others, intentionally or unintentionally. As a
commenter, I therefore aspire to participate responsibly in the great online conversation
 by:
* treating all bloggers with respect.
* seeking first to understand what is being said.
* celebrating another's accomplishments.
* using school appropriate language.
* rephrasing ideas in the blog that made me think, made me feel, or helped me learn
to let the blogger know his/her voice has been heard.
* commenting specifically and positively, without criticism. If I disagree, I will
comment appropriately, politely stating my perspective.
* being mindful always that I may be a role model to my audience, especially if they 
are younger than I.
* making no reference to, link to, and/or giving access to any information that may 
 be inappropriate for a school setting.
* asking at least one question in my comment with the hopes of continuing a
conversation and deepening thinking.
* using a triple check before submitting any comment: Would I be happy to have my 
mother read this comment? My grandmother? My favorite teacher?