Friday, January 17, 2014

Outlawed part 6

The wind wiped my auburn curls as I walked through the city with Finn by my side. It was silence, just like when Cecile died. Tasmine? I heard Cecile say from time to time. I'd reply in my mind. Yes, Cecile. I am here. The City was bustling with activity at the late afternoon. I doubted if Doctor knew I was in the city now. I hope not. Finn and I passed endless coffee shoppes, Hair Salons, late-night clubs and more. The City seemed overall beautiful short of Cecile Vic Aberdeen. I still hear her voice, in my mind, I reply. I finally reached a small coffee shop. A girl with beautiful brown hair and shocking brown eyes like mine was the only one there, simply sitting, her fingers intertwined. Finn and I sat across from the girl, who was looking bored, rolling her shoulders impatiently. A plump waitress came up and asked for orders. The girl went simply silent. "Coffee. Two." I said. "Three." Finn interrupted. The waitress walked away. "Three? You're not that slim, Finn." I laughed. Finn nodded. The coffees came and Finn handed the third one to the girl. "Thanks." She said. Her blue cloak fluttered. She had on a wavy top and jeans. She took a sip. No sugar. I stared at her as she took in the quite-bitter-without-sugar coffee impatiently, not coughing. "I'm Tasmine." I said. The girl looked up. "Leanne," She replied. "Finn." Finn cut in. A long silence. "Well." Leanne said, nodding. "Are you two- please pardon-couples?" She asked. I shook my head and scooted away from Finn in utter disgust. "Friends, for sake!" Finn said before I could. Leanne laughed. She apologized and sipped the coffee.
"Pardon me... was that your sister that...um...you know...passed away?" Leanne asked. I swallowed and nodded. "I-I guess I know how you feel. I'm so sorry." Leanne said comfortingly. I smiled. She was a pretty girl for her predicted age. "Are you sixteen?" I asked. Leanne nodded.
"Still a kid, huh?"
Leanne nodded again. "I'm from Velamosa City." She said. "Velamosa?" I asked. That was hours away from Viktor City. "So." Leanne licked her lips. Finn clucked his tongue. I gave him a 'stop, it's annoying' look. "Thanks for the coffee." Leanne smiled. I nodded. "Where to?" She asked. "Back to the hospital in a sec." Finn replied. "Ugh... I hate it there. Doctor is acting like i'm his new doctor's pet. He just leaves me in a locked up room." I groaned. Finn shook his head. "I have to be back in the bakery. Sorry." He said. I sighed. "I'll stay with you if you want." Leanne suggested. I nodded. Me and Leanne walked to the hospital.
"Pardon." She said. I turned my head. "We friends now?" She asked. I smiled. "Yeah."
If only I knew that Leanne was indeed a specific girl. A VERY specific girl.

1 comment:

  1. For some weird, (But good) reason, this reminds me of the book Holes. It has the same sadness, occasional laughs, and sunken characters. In other words, this is awesome!!! I loved the book Holes, so naturally i love this! Keep it coming. -Sara

    ReplyDelete

The Art and Aspirations of a Commenter 
I believe in the power of a free exchange of ideas. I also recognize that words or access to
some information can be of harm to others, intentionally or unintentionally. As a
commenter, I therefore aspire to participate responsibly in the great online conversation
 by:
* treating all bloggers with respect.
* seeking first to understand what is being said.
* celebrating another's accomplishments.
* using school appropriate language.
* rephrasing ideas in the blog that made me think, made me feel, or helped me learn
to let the blogger know his/her voice has been heard.
* commenting specifically and positively, without criticism. If I disagree, I will
comment appropriately, politely stating my perspective.
* being mindful always that I may be a role model to my audience, especially if they 
are younger than I.
* making no reference to, link to, and/or giving access to any information that may 
 be inappropriate for a school setting.
* asking at least one question in my comment with the hopes of continuing a
conversation and deepening thinking.
* using a triple check before submitting any comment: Would I be happy to have my 
mother read this comment? My grandmother? My favorite teacher?