Monday, April 14, 2014
After Whatever After: Hmph!
Mother Gothel looks directly at us. I mean, DIRECTLY. She can spot a small bumblebee in a huge meadow, I bet. I freeze as she inspects me. "Who are you?" She says slowly, as if we were babies learning how to say our first word. Jonah speaks up. "I'm Jonah, and this is Abby." I give a please-don't-kill-me look with a small wave. Mother Gothel looks at me suspiciously. I twiddle my thumbs as she observes me. Suddenly, she says, "Oh!! We need THESE helpers!" She helps me climb out of the wardrobe. Ew. Her hands feel disgusting. I quickly snap them away from her grip as she starts to help Jonah. Rapunzel looks scared. I give her a small smile to make her feel better. Mother Gothel explains what we will do in exchange to stay alive. When she leaves, I turn to Rapunzel. "Your ending isn't too happy. Well, in the middle, when Mother Gothel finds out that the Prince is sneaking in to talk to you." Rapunzel gasps. "How did you know!?" She demands. "Well, you're in books." Jonah speaks up. "Really!?" She says, softening. I
nod. "The story is, if I can remember... Oh yes! Your mother was craving for rampion, or Rapunzel-"
"That's where I got my name, I bet!" Rapunzel says, snapping her fingers.
"-Yes. Anyway, your mother was craving for rampion because she had a neighbor which who had a splendid garden. Most claimed that she was a witch."
"Isn't that Mother Gothel?" Rapunzel questions.
"Yes. So she told your father to go get some, but-" Rapunzel started to bite her fingernails.
I continue. "-he got caught. So he begged Mother Gothel to spare his life and in exchange, he would give her you. So when you were born, Mother Gothel took you away from your parents to raise you. Oh, by the way, were you put into this tower when you were 12?" Rapunzel nods, surprised.
"Anyway, she locked you up in a tower and when a Prince heard you singing, he didn't know what to do, so he waited, and Mother Gothel told him everything, and he climbed up and you started to, love him-" "Hey!" Rapunzel says. "That's personal you know!" She covers her mouth. "- and then you guys plot your escape plan and then Gothel catches you and cuts your hair; Mother Gothel pushes you prince and he falls into the thorns and becomes blind. You and the prince wander off to different directions and finally, you have twins and," I catch my breath. Everyone except Mother Gothel is hanging on to my every word. "And, well, the prince is walking, and he hears you singing and runs to you. You cry two tears and it makes the prince able to see again. And you live happily ever after. The End." I take a deep breath and sigh, relieved that I finished the story. Ah... I don't think I can speak for a while. Rapunzel looks stunned as I finish. "So," she says slowly. "This is," she takes a deep breath and exhales. "My... Future." Jonah and I nod. Suddenly, my mind goes Click! I snap my fingers. "That's it! You need to find a way to sneak out, at the dead of night, when Mother Gothel is sleeping. Jonah and me will keep watch. You, you will sneak out with the prince, and you live happily ever after." I smile at my plan, but Rapunzel looks unconvinced. "Hmph. You still haven't done Gothel's orders and what about my precious hair?" She demands while touching her hair. I ignore the part about Mother Gothel and continue with the problamo. I snap my fingers, loud and clear. "You could put it in...um.... In a braid!" I suddenly remember me in Mustard and Lana and the hair salon. Rapunzel's face snaps me out of my daydream. Rapunzel raises one eyebrow, still looking unconvinced. Boy, she is not very gullible, especially with my ideas! "Okay fine. Let me braid your hair first and see if it's long enough to swing you out." I braid her soft, golden hair as if I was weaving. (Fine, well, I kind of am.) I finish the braid in a flourish. I like that.... Anyway, her hair is still SUPER long! We put the end on a hook and Rapunzel tries swinging herself back and forth. Hmph. She can do it, but not as fast if she were to do it with her hair down and free. I undo the braid and try doing multiple braids. I finish, tired but eager to try it.My hands are chapped. Rapunzel helped too. Once we finished, we put it in a ponytail and tried again. Hmph. Still doesn't work.... We try several different ways, two many to count. Even Jonah tries to help with it, but he is not suited for being a hair salonist or whatever .Eventually, when we're all frowning and thinking real hard on what to do, (Hey, who KNEW it would take forever!) we jump to a voice way down below the tower: Rapunzel, Rapunzel, let down your hair!
Labels:
Lisa
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
The Art and Aspirations of a Commenter
I believe in the power of a free exchange of ideas. I also recognize that words or access to
some information can be of harm to others, intentionally or unintentionally. As a
commenter, I therefore aspire to participate responsibly in the great online conversation
by:
* treating all bloggers with respect.
* seeking first to understand what is being said.
* celebrating another's accomplishments.
* using school appropriate language.
* rephrasing ideas in the blog that made me think, made me feel, or helped me learn
to let the blogger know his/her voice has been heard.
* commenting specifically and positively, without criticism. If I disagree, I will
comment appropriately, politely stating my perspective.
* being mindful always that I may be a role model to my audience, especially if they
are younger than I.
* making no reference to, link to, and/or giving access to any information that may
be inappropriate for a school setting.
* asking at least one question in my comment with the hopes of continuing a
conversation and deepening thinking.
* using a triple check before submitting any comment: Would I be happy to have my
mother read this comment? My grandmother? My favorite teacher?