Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Diversions: Book 1, Start: Chapter 5 of 22, Fire

I felt the thick silver and the cold drachma.
"Chiron, can I have 9000 drachmas?" I asked. Chiron looked startled.
"I'm afraid I don't have that much money. Anyway, shouldn't you be focusing on the Fireworks? I think you better-" He nods towards the open door. I saw Falkner flying away on the pegasus. "--before someone else does."
"WHAT? Sorry, horse-man, I think you got the wrong ideas. I'll find someone else."
Chiron winked and as I was leaving, he said, "You'll get lucky in the Leto cabin. Ask for a boy named Ivan Nightshade." I slipped out the door to ask someone directions to the Leto Cabin.
The first person I bumped into was the 'slightly hotter' than Falkner guy. He had dark silver hair, spiked at the front like Falkner's, but naturally, bright silver eyes like a full moon, light skin tone like moonlight, a white shirt, silver denim vest, black boot-cut jeans, white combat boots, and a white sword on the right side of his hip, a black one on the left side, and a gray bow slung over his shoulder. He too had aviators, but they were bright, moonlight white.
"Uh, do... um. Do you know directions to the Leto cabin?" I straightened my golden hair again.
He raised one eyebrow. "And... why?" His voice was extremely quiet, melodious, and very, very, very male.
"Chiron said to look for a boy named Ivan Nightshade."
He stuck out his hand, and his mouth remained in a slight frown. "Ah, that would be me, I think. Unless my name changed from Ivan to somebody else. Anyway, Ivan Drako Nightshade, you are...?"
"Me? Skylar.... Coballion DiAngelo."
"Anyway, why did Chiron call you to me?"
"Not the foggiest idea... he said it had to do with the fireworks." I said quietly, hoping he wouldn't hear me. He turned bright, bright scarlet.
"Gods, Chiron! Again? Seriously? Why do you keep sending them?"
"Hey, dude, I didn't want to do this. I just want a good Pegasus."
He looked skeptical. "Pegasus? Pegasus? I don't have a Pegasus, but to thank you for not blushing, screaming, and running away, I have some Unicorns... I'm in charge of the stables. White, black, gray, blue, ginger, silver, gold, copper, or yellow?"
"Silver." I say automatically.
"That's what I would have chosen. SERAPHIM! That's his name."
The most amazing thing I had ever seen started running towards us.
It had a long, dagger-like horn, pointed silvery-gold eyes, a moonlight-colored coat like molten silver, a bright white mane and tail with silvery tinges, bright silver hooves, and a goldish muzzle.
"Yours. I also have Rowan, a black wolf. You want?"
"YES."
He whistled and a black wolf with electrical yellow eyes came running.
"Yours."
"OH, GODS, THANKS!"
~~~~~~~~~


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Art and Aspirations of a Commenter 
I believe in the power of a free exchange of ideas. I also recognize that words or access to
some information can be of harm to others, intentionally or unintentionally. As a
commenter, I therefore aspire to participate responsibly in the great online conversation
 by:
* treating all bloggers with respect.
* seeking first to understand what is being said.
* celebrating another's accomplishments.
* using school appropriate language.
* rephrasing ideas in the blog that made me think, made me feel, or helped me learn
to let the blogger know his/her voice has been heard.
* commenting specifically and positively, without criticism. If I disagree, I will
comment appropriately, politely stating my perspective.
* being mindful always that I may be a role model to my audience, especially if they 
are younger than I.
* making no reference to, link to, and/or giving access to any information that may 
 be inappropriate for a school setting.
* asking at least one question in my comment with the hopes of continuing a
conversation and deepening thinking.
* using a triple check before submitting any comment: Would I be happy to have my 
mother read this comment? My grandmother? My favorite teacher?