Thursday, November 13, 2014

Diversions: Book 1, Start: Chapter 9 of 22, SUNLIGHT

Rowan rode me to the exact river glade without question. He was not too fast, not too slow, and surprisingly perfect for riding, three times faster than a horse.
I felt the need to talk to the girl with the slightly smaller tiara.
She saw me as I approached and nudged the others.
She bowed. "You have the blessing of Artemis."
I awkwardly bowed in return. "She chose me as her sister, but..."
"SISTER OF ARTEMIS?! THAT'S SICK!" She straightened so fast her BBQ Barbie shirt crumpled.
She gave me a huge pat on the back. "Did you take the pledge?"
The thought of "See you soon, hopefully." and Ivan kissing me and Falkner raced through my mind.
"No!" I said instantly.
"Didn't think that would be a touchy question." The girl grumbled. "Anyway, you turned your back against men? Oh yeah, I'm Thalia, Thalia Grace."
Thalia eyed me twisting the dragon ring of Leto. "Leto! The mother of Artemis," Then she groaned. "Let me guess. Has some romantic connection to a child of Leto."
I nodded awkwardly. Thalia muttered something I couldn't hear. "Well, since you have betrayal to Artemis, you cook dinner."
Silver light glowed around me. Thalia looked towards the sky. "Artemis! Why do you bless her, who has still not turned her back on men? Who has not proved herself worthy?"
I gave a deep sigh. "I may as well--" I saw a boy in the bushes.
I whipped my bow over my shoulder and strung an arrow. I pointed it to the bushes and shot.
"AGH!" A blond boy fell from the bushes.
"Nice." Said Thalia. She strung an arrow.
The boy took a deep breath and pulled out the arrow. The wound on his leg was bleeding. It was dark red and shards of the wood stuck in. "SERIOUSLY! What have I done to you? I'm just... ah, watching you guys."
Thalia let the arrow fly. It hit him in the shoulder. "WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?!?!"
Thalia readied another arrow. "You want me to let this thing fly? I have good aim."
The boy wickedly grinned. "Mine is probably better." He stood up and held out his arms, his wounds started healing. When he was fully healed, I realized how godly, handsome, and... yellow... he looked.
He had a yellow sleeveless sport shirt, yellow jeans, sun-tanned skin, golden eyes, a yellow scarf, purely for style, yellow shiny aviators sitting on his bright golden hair. His features looked like they were designed by Aphrodite and carved by the goddess of perfection and art. In other words, he was way, way, way blowing it with the good-looking thing.
Thalia lowered her bow. "Who are you, exactly?"
"PLEASE. Call me Henn." He grinned.
"You're a god." Thalia stuttered.
He smiled handsomely and put the aviators on. "And you're a huntress. Now may I ask, what does Artemis say of my sister? My sister certainly speaks of Artemis highly. And what of Apollo? I myself chose him for the Sun Chariot."
Thalia registered it in her head. "Huntress.... sister praises Artemis, speaks of her highly... Apollo... chose him.... chose him for the sun chariot.... CHOSE APOLLO FOR THE SUN CHARIOT!"
"You're Helios!" I cut in.
He glowed golden, and we all averted our eyes. When the light faded, I was looking at something created purely by Aphrodite.
He had spiked, thick golden hair, windswept to the front, sparkling golden eyes like the sun, sun-tanned skin, more perfect and natural, a sport coat that was golden, shimmering, sport pants, dark gold, tall knee-high boots, again golden, that set ablaze with each step, and a long cape of harmless blue fire. "This is me."
"Uh, I really gotta get going. I'll see you guys." I drew my sword and hopped onto Rowan.
"Rowan, let's go!" Rowan ran straight into the water in a seize of panic; all the timber wolves were looking at him.
I heard Thalia. "Let her learn! She will come back. Huntresses, let's go!" They all mounted their... well, mounts, and followed Thalia on hers. Helios turned to the sky and in a burst of true form, blasted into the sky. I forgot to avert my eyes.... and fell into the crests of black and blue waved. A hand was reaching into the water.... pulling me out. I whited out.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Art and Aspirations of a Commenter 
I believe in the power of a free exchange of ideas. I also recognize that words or access to
some information can be of harm to others, intentionally or unintentionally. As a
commenter, I therefore aspire to participate responsibly in the great online conversation
 by:
* treating all bloggers with respect.
* seeking first to understand what is being said.
* celebrating another's accomplishments.
* using school appropriate language.
* rephrasing ideas in the blog that made me think, made me feel, or helped me learn
to let the blogger know his/her voice has been heard.
* commenting specifically and positively, without criticism. If I disagree, I will
comment appropriately, politely stating my perspective.
* being mindful always that I may be a role model to my audience, especially if they 
are younger than I.
* making no reference to, link to, and/or giving access to any information that may 
 be inappropriate for a school setting.
* asking at least one question in my comment with the hopes of continuing a
conversation and deepening thinking.
* using a triple check before submitting any comment: Would I be happy to have my 
mother read this comment? My grandmother? My favorite teacher?