Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Why I Live Today: Chapter 1

Three years after Arian Hawk has gone to the Academy of Powers...
~~~
Diamond gave a faint sigh. Who is Diamond? She was a rather beautiful girl, 16, who had beautiful long, ash-blonde hair that fell to her knees when she wore it down, which she usually didn't. Diamond also had an average California tan, since she did live in California. She also had excellent figure, athleticism, and every single thing people would consider perfect. But the one thing that people saw the most, that one thing that made her stand out, the reason she always wore dark silver sunglasses? Her eyes. She had sparkly crystal-like eyes, like diamonds, that were unusually transparent, yet not. They looked like gems fitted into her eyes. Diamond was content with life, and with her friends, and boyfriend, Zachary Lane. She always wore dress-shirts (yes, dress shirts. GIRL ones, not fancy suit ones), usually teal or blue, and boot-cut jeans and black high-tops.
~~~~~~~~~
I sat on spring grass near my house in a large field, with sun shining down on everything. Carefully, I picked a flower and smelled the entrancing aroma.
"Hey, can I join you?" It was Zachary. I smiled. Zachary, or Zack, as I called him, was a smart and caring guy who loved everyone, and was an only child. He was half an inch taller than me, with honey-brown hair that almost covered his eyebrows. Though he had been living in California longer, he had much paler skin, like porcelain, and green-brown eyes that were warm and gorgeous. Despite the summer's heat, he wore a red jacket. He was wearing the same black sport shorts he wore yesterday, (does anyone reading that do that) and white shirt.
I smiled. "Yeah, sure." I said softly. Zack grinned and sat next to me.
"How's it going, beautiful?" Zack asked, picking petals from a flower.
I sighed. "Great. What about you?"
He darkened and dropped the flower. "Not so great. Jake's super sick, god." Jack was his black rottweiler.
I put my arm on his shoulder. "Oh, wow. Is he going to get better?"
He sighed sadly. "Not by the looks of it. In fact, he seems to be getting worse. I think he may die soon." He stared at the flower on the grass. "I hope he doesn't."
Reassuringly smiling at him, I picked up the flower. "Oh, he won't. With someone as great as you caring for him?"
"Hey, twerps." I turned around. It was my best friend, Lexis. She stood leaning on my house's fence.
Zack stood up and grabbed his bag. "I need to get to physics and foreign language classes, anyway. See ya, beautiful." He kissed my forehead and ran off.
Lexis grabbed my hand and helped me up. "Hi, how's life going for you? And, are you aware that boyfriend of yours is taking physics and foreign languages? Those are, like, the HARDEST classes! And he's a top student? I don't understand him. ANYway, how are your classes going?"
"Awesome. So far a no minus or plus A in calculus, and I've just started trigonometry. It's sort of hard." Zack ran back in and grabbed a paper he left on the grass.
He laughed. "Sorry, left this. Keep talking." He ran off.
Lexis grunted. "Well, WE need to get to your house to watch that movie." Lexis tucked a loose strand of chocolate hair behind her ear.
"Oh, definitely!" We walked to my house, talking about randomness. In almost no time at all, we were already seated on the couch. I kept adjusting myself. Something was in the couch. I stood up and took off the cushion. There was a box I had never seen before. Lexis looked at it, took it from my hands and opened it up.
Certifying Diamond Corral, Dylas Strattle, Zachary Lane and Lexis Arlington to go to THE ACADEMY OF POWERS for seven years. Please sign on bottom.

________________________________________
We looked at it, Lexis hopefully. "Go to this Academy of Powers place with Dylas Strattle? The hot one living across the street?" Dylas Strattle was a silent, but admittedly handsome guy who was two years older than both of us who lived across the street of my house. He was always out of his house, exploring the massive fields. 
When Lexis had met him for the first time, I knew it was love at first sight for her. But as it went on, Dylas also started to like her. (Don't tell Lexis I said this: Dylas looks like the Dylas in Rune Factory 4) Lexis jolted up to get a pencil, got one, and signed her name. I hesitated. What if Zack didn't want to go? Seven years apart? Lexis smiled. "Thinking about ol' Zack, huh?"
"Yeah. It's like... if he says yes, it'll be amazing, and if he says no.... it would be the opposite."
"Love is harsh. But, sign." 
I picked up the pencil and signed my name. I felt I feeling I had never felt, and knew there would be no turning back...

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Art and Aspirations of a Commenter 
I believe in the power of a free exchange of ideas. I also recognize that words or access to
some information can be of harm to others, intentionally or unintentionally. As a
commenter, I therefore aspire to participate responsibly in the great online conversation
 by:
* treating all bloggers with respect.
* seeking first to understand what is being said.
* celebrating another's accomplishments.
* using school appropriate language.
* rephrasing ideas in the blog that made me think, made me feel, or helped me learn
to let the blogger know his/her voice has been heard.
* commenting specifically and positively, without criticism. If I disagree, I will
comment appropriately, politely stating my perspective.
* being mindful always that I may be a role model to my audience, especially if they 
are younger than I.
* making no reference to, link to, and/or giving access to any information that may 
 be inappropriate for a school setting.
* asking at least one question in my comment with the hopes of continuing a
conversation and deepening thinking.
* using a triple check before submitting any comment: Would I be happy to have my 
mother read this comment? My grandmother? My favorite teacher?